Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Mining scenes, Treece, Kansas Mining scenes, Treece, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 737,218
Bookbag items: 41,275
Registered users: 12,460

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 7

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Furnishings - Household Accessory - Saucer

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Dishes from the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association Dump, 14SH379

Dishes from the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association Dump, 14SH379
Date: 1919-1950
These two dish fragments were recovered from the dump at the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association in Shawnee County. Shown are a saucer with a floral transferware pattern and a relish dish made of yellow/canary depression glass. This dish has a molded floral and scrollwork pattern on the base. Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association, begun in 1916, eventually included a hospital, a cooperative farm, a school, a hotel, and provided homes for orphans and the elderly.


Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1891-1970
These dish fragments were recovered during the 1990 and 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field schools at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The ironstone dinner plate was made at the Johnson Brothers pottery between 1891 and 1939. The saucer was made at the J. and G. Meakin pottery between 1891 and 1970. The maker's marks on these dishes show that they were made in England. The Tariff Act of 1891 made country of origin labeling mandatory for items imported to the United States, though Europe had enacted such laws earlier. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Flow Blue Plate and Saucer from 14CT368

Flow Blue Plate and Saucer from 14CT368
Date: 1895-1950
These plate and saucer fragments were recovered from a Chautauqua County farmstead during a 1995 salvage project by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The transferware patterns on the dishes were deliberately blurred, a hallmark of flow blue patterns. The dinner plate on the left is decorated with a Lancaster pattern manufactured by the New Wharf Pottery Company of Burslem, England (1878 - 1894). The saucer on the right is decorated with the Sydney pattern manufactured by Wood and Son of Burslem, England (1865 - 2005).


J. W. Pankhurst Dish from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327

J. W. Pankhurst Dish from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327
Date: 1850-1852
This saucer was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. The maker's mark on saucer, a partial lion with the words "STONE/ J.W. PANK/HANLEY" indicates it was made by the J. W. Pankhurst pottery of Hanley, England, who used the advertising phrase "Stone China" between 1850 and 1852. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years.


Meakin Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Meakin Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1891-1986
These eight examples of maker's marks from the Meakin family of potteries were recovered from Constitution Hall in Lecompton. Five were from the J. and G. Meakin pottery of Hanley, England. Three of these date to post 1891 when it became law in the United States to add the country of origin (England) to all imports. Three other base sherds may have been made by J. and G. Meakin or by one of the many other Meakin family potteries. Constitution Hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation. The hall was designated a National Historical Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution.


Saucer from the Union Pacific Railroad Depot Site, 14DO324

Saucer from the Union Pacific Railroad Depot Site, 14DO324
Date: 1869-1891
This reconstructed saucer was recovered during excavations at the Union Pacific Railroad Depot in Lawrence, Kansas. A faint impressed maker's mark on the back identifies it as being made by potters J. and G. Meakin of Hanley, England. This site served not only as a depot, but also had dwellings, a meat market, a saloon, a possible boarding house or hotel, a grain elevator and other commercial buildings located within the project area excavated in 1995 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists.


Saucer with Maker's Mark from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Saucer with Maker's Mark from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1872-1897
This saucer fragment was recovered from the 1991 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County. The saucer was manufactured by the Goodwin Brothers Pottery Company of Ohio (1872-1897). The site was the location of a Pony Express station, a stop on the Oregon-California trail, a post office, a blacksmith shop, and a farm with barns and other outbuildings. The site was purchased by the Kansas Legislature in 1941 and is in the National Register of Historic Places.


Showing 1 - 7

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.