Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Staff of the Menninger Children's Division, Topeka, Kansas Staff of the Menninger Children's Division, Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 737,230
Bookbag items: 41,322
Registered users: 12,469

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 5

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Furnishings - Household Accessory - Cup

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701

A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This reconstructed cup and bowl was found in pieces during excavations in 1972 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) field school. The bowl has a red, black and green floral design, though difficult to see. The handless cup has a red, white and blue linear pattern. Both dishes were reconstructed by students at the field school. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker store and nearby house were situated along the Santa Fe trail. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts, who also burned the store and house.


"Brother" Cup from the Adair Cabin Site

"Brother" Cup from the Adair Cabin Site
Date: 1858-1912
This porcelain tea cup, missing its handle, was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years. The base of the cup has the country of origin labeling indicating it was made in Germany. The Tariff Act of 1891 made mandatory country of origin labeling in the United States, though Europe had enacted such laws earlier.


Cup Fragment from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Cup Fragment from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This cup fragment was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The porcelain cup is decorated in a blue and white Willow pattern, transfer printed on the cup's exterior and handle. Willow ware patterns were designed in imitation of Chinese or East Asian patterns. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Dishes from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Dishes from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1978
These dish fragments were recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. Shown are fragments of cups, dish, and creamer fragments. Two sherds are decorated with an annual ware style, with concentric lines around the vessel edge. Four sherds have hand painted floral designs, common throughout the 18th- and 19th-centuries. Three sherds are transfer decorated, where the pattern is printed on paper and placed on the dish. During firing of the piece the paper is burned away, but the pattern remains. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.


Dish Sherds from the Plaster House, 14GY307

Dish Sherds from the Plaster House, 14GY307
Date: 1879-1899
These two dish sherds were recovered from excavations at the Plaster House site, a dugout in Gray County. The cup sherd is decorated with transferware printing in a brown floral pattern. The purple pressed glass dish sherd was made by pressing molten glass into a mold. The occupants of the dugout were most likely the family of Oliver and Anna Mitchell; Oliver Mitchell was described in his obituary as a horse rancher. Settlement in this area of Kansas mostly post-dated the construction of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad in 1872 and experienced a boom during with the construction of the Soule Canal in the mid-1880s.


Showing 1 - 5

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.