Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Glenn School, District #33, near Lecompton, Kansas Glenn School, District #33, near Lecompton, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 733,572
Bookbag items: 38,929
Registered users: 11,898

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 10

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Personal Gear - Coin

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


1823 Liberty Dime from Soldier Creek Crossing, 14OS1302

1823 Liberty Dime from Soldier Creek Crossing, 14OS1302
Date: 1823
This Liberty dime was recovered at a Santa Fe trail stream crossing site in Osage County. The silver dime, minted in 1823, is a type called "Capped Bust," meaning it was struck over a 1822 Liberty dime with the "3" of 1823 directly on top of the "2" of the 1822 date. The site was the focus of a 1995 Kansas Archeology Training Program event with Kansas Historical Society archeologists and volunteers from the Kansas Anthropological Association.


1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

1853 Half Dime from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1853-1868
This silver half dime was recovered from Fort Zarah during the 1969 Kansas Archeological Training Program field school, a joint project undertaken by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The obverse side shows a Seated Liberty with her right hand resting on a striped shield and her left hand holding a Liberty pole. Six-pointed stars surround Liberty and arrows are present on each side of the date of 1853. The reverse side has the words "HALF DIME" and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" surrounded by a wreath of laurel leaves. Fort Zarah, located along the Santa Fe trail in Barton County, was active from 1864 to 1869.


1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1856-1872
This one-cent coin was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The obverse of the coin shows Liberty with braided hair surrounded by stars and the date 1856. The reverse side shows an oak leaf wreath surrounding the words "ONE CENT." Large one-cent coins were discontinued in 1857 and replaced with smaller one-cent coins of the size we use today. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


Coins from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327

Coins from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327
Date: 1878-1909
These coins were recovered during the 1990 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The pennies, sometimes called an Indian Head cents or Indian Head pennies, shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The coin on the left was minted in 1865 and coin on the right in 1890. The sheep ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1868
Both of these coins were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. One is a shield nickel minted in 1868. The obverse side shows a shield representing the United States, while the reverse side shows the denomination surrounded by stars. The other coin, also minted in 1868, is an Indian head penny. The obverse side shows Liberty with a head dress, while the reverse side depicts a laurel wreath. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Half Dimes from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Half Dimes from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1853-1872
These half dimes were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The coin on the left was minted in 1853 and shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the mint date on the obverse side. The reverse of this half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The coin on the right was minted in 1856 and is identical to the other half dime except that the arrows by the mint date were dropped in 1856. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Morgan Silver Dollar from the Baker Store, 14MO701

Morgan Silver Dollar from the Baker Store, 14MO701
Date: Post 1879
This badly burned Morgan Silver dollar was recovered from the Baker Store in Morris County by the Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeology field school in 1973. The obverse shows the profile of Liberty and the date, 1879. The reverse shows and eagle with wings outstretched. The Baker Store artifact collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The Baker Store and nearby house, situated along the Santa Fe trail, were burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts. The owner, A. I. Baker, was murdered at that time. This coin post dates the burning by at least 17 years.


Shield Nickels from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Shield Nickels from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1867-1873
These shield nickels were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The nickel on the left was minted in 1867 and the one on the right in 1869. Both nickels have a shield on the obverse side with the number 5 surrounded by stars on the reverse side. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Three-Cent Coins from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Three-Cent Coins from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1851-1873
These coins were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The three-cent coins on the top row were minted in New Orleans in 1851 to 1853. These coins were made of 75% silver and 25% copper. The upper right coin has a small hole drilled near the edge. The coin on the bottom left was minted between 1854 and 1858 and has more silver (90%) though it was reduced in size. The coin on the bottom right was minted in 1869 and is larger than the other three coins with design changes on both obverse and reverse sides. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Showing 1 - 10

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.