Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Omar Hawkins photograph collection Omar Hawkins photograph collection

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 608,782
Bookbag items: 36,932
Registered users: 11,184

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 27

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Furnishings - Household Accessory - Dish

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 27 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701

A Cup and a Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This reconstructed cup and bowl was found in pieces during excavations in 1972-1973 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University). The bowl has a red, black and green floral design, though difficult to see. The handless cup has a red, white and blue linear pattern. Both dishes were reconstructed by students at the 1972 - 1973 field school. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The archeological site, along the Santa Fe Trail in Morris County, was the location of the Baker House, which burned in 1862, along with the nearby store, during the murder of A.I. Baker.


Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701

Artifacts from the Excavations at the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1972
Shown are five views of cleaned and reconstructed artifacts from the excavations at the Baker house in Morris County. Shown are a tablesetting, smoking pipes, a tintype frame, a bowl and pitcher, and a grouping of scissors, needle, thimble, and lens from a pair of spectacles. The slides were processed in 1972. The artifact collection, along with these photographs, was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The excavation was undertaken by Emporia State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) in 1972. The house was burned in 1862 by "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his cohorts.


Banded Ware Dishes from Constitutional Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Banded Ware Dishes from Constitutional Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1930
Shown are examples of banded ware or annualarware decorated dishes. They were recovered from Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Containers from 14JW311

Containers from 14JW311
Date: 1000-1500 CE
These three sherds were collected from an archeological site in Jewell County that had materials from the Middle Ceramic period, such as the two ceramic sherds with cord marked surface treatment shown here, and a small scattering of historic artifacts from the surface, like the amethyst cut glass sherd. All three artifacts served as containers in their time and illustrate that styles may change, but functions do not always do so!


Depression Glass Dish from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372

Depression Glass Dish from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372
Date: 1920-1939
This dish was collected in three fragments from the Plowboy site in Shawnee County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. The donor reconstructed the depression glass dish with handle prior to donating the artifact. Depression glass was a mass produced, low quality glassware and pink was a very popular color in the 1920s and 1930s. The Plowboy site was home to the Kansa, the Potawatomi, and Euro-Americans. At various times, the site contained a farm, a trading post, and a post office with nearby military trails, Mormon routes, a railroad and the California-Oregon trail.


Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1881-1885
These two base sherds were recovered during excavations at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. The sherd on the left has advertising, "SON & HULM/RICHARD ALCO/EM, ENGLA," for the pottery of Richard Alcock of Burslem, England, subsequently know as Wilkinson and Hulme. The sherd on the right has advertising, "WILK/LATE/BUR," for the pottery of Arthur J. Wilkinson, previously known as Wilkinson and Hulme and Richard Alcock. It would seem potters in Burslem, England, had close ties! Constitution Hall was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation.


Dishes from 14LV334

Dishes from 14LV334
Date: 1830-1930
These 12 dish sherds were among the many collected from a multicomponent site overlooking the Missouri River in Leavenworth County. There are six rim sherds, one base sherd and five body sherds. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds decorated with hand painting, shell-edge, annular ware, transfer printing, called transferware, and by sponging with color, called spongeware. The site, with occupations in the Middle Ceramic and Historic periods, may have once been a Kickapoo habitation site in addition to later habitations.


Dishes from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Dishes from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1970
These tea cup and dish sherds were recovered from excavations at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including glass dish sherds with swirled patterns and whiteware dish sherds with solid colors, hand painted, and decorated by transfer printing, called transferware. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1950
These six dish sherds were excavated at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds with gold bands near the rim, hand painted sherds, two different molded patterns and sherds that were decorated by transfer printing, called transferware. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1950
These dish sherd were recovered during excavations at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds with solid colors, decorated in a pattern called shell edged, flow blue, and hand painted sherds. Additionally, sherds were recovered that were decorated by transfer printing, called transferware, and by sponging with color, called spongeware. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1930
These dish sherds are just a few of the many recovered from Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. The sherds shown here all have floral patterns made by hand painting or transferware. Some have additional molded decoration or gold trim. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Dishes from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414

Dishes from the 102 Steel Point Site, 14MO414
Date: 1847-1874
These 10 dish fragments were recovered from a site in Morris County during a 2006 survey by a Kansas Historical Society archeologist and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds that were hand painted, decorated by transfer printing, called transferware, and by sponging with color, called spongeware. The site had multiple occupations from the Archaic period to the late 1800s. The site may have been one of three Kansa sites along the Neosho River.


Dishes from the Adair Cabin Site, 14MM327

Dishes from the Adair Cabin Site, 14MM327
Date: 1855-1912
These dish fragments were just a few of those that were recovered during excavations at the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site during excavation including these floral transferware sherds, decorated by transfer printing. The site was excavated in 2014 during the Kansas Archeological Training Program field school. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years.


Dishes from the Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Dishes from the Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1855-1950
These dish sherds were collected during excavations at Constitution Hall. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds that were decorated by transfer printing, called transferware, decorated by sponging with color, called spongeware and decorated by hand painting. The site served as the seat of the Kansas Territorial government in 1857 and 1858. The constitutional convention that drafted the Lecompton Constitution also met here. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation.


Dishes from the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association Dump, 14SH379

Dishes from the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association Dump, 14SH379
Date: 1919-1950
These two dish fragments were recovered from the dump at the Security Benefit Home and Hospital Association in Shawnee County. Shown are a saucer with a floral transferware pattern and a relish dish made of yellow/canary depression glass. This dish has a molded floral and scrollwork pattern on the base.


Dishes from the Wea Mission, 14MM322

Dishes from the Wea Mission, 14MM322
Date: 1837-1857
These dish sherds were recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. Though the dish sherds are often quite small, a wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds with molded patterns, patterns created by transfer printing, called transferware, and by sponging with color, called spongeware. The excavations revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and other occupants until 1909 when the house burned.


Glasgow Ironstone China Maker's Mark from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Glasgow Ironstone China Maker's Mark from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1863-1900
The base of this dish fragment shows the maker's mark from the Glasgow Pottery Co. of Trenton, New Jersey. The mark was typical circa 1884. The dish was recovered from Constitution Hall in Lecompton. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.


Homer Laughlin Dishes from the Adair Cabin Site, 14MM327

Homer Laughlin Dishes from the Adair Cabin Site, 14MM327
Date: 1912-1929
These dishes were recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. The sauce dish and plate fragment, both from Laughlin's "Hudson" pattern, date slightly later than the occupation and removal of the cabin and may be from a later dumping episode. Osawatomie and the Adairs were much involved with the abolitionist movement during the "Bleeding Kansas" years.


Meakin Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Meakin Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1891-1986
These eight examples of maker's marks from the Meakin family of potteries were recovered from Constitution Hall in Lecompton. Five were from the J. and G. Meakin pottery of Hanley, England. Three of these date to post 1891 when it became law in the United States to add the country of origin (England) to all imports. Three other base sherds may have been made by J. and G. Meakin or by one of the many other Meakin family potteries. Constitution Hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation. The hall was designated a National Historical Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution.


Pewter Plate from Blue Earth Village, 14PO24

Pewter Plate from Blue Earth Village, 14PO24
Date: 1790-1830
This pewter plate was collected from the Blue Earth Village site and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1880. Blue Earth village was a Kansa Indian village in Pottawatomie County. Many lodge depressions were still visible on the surface in the 1880s.


Serving Dish from the Baker House, 14MO701

Serving Dish from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This serving dish, which was reconstructed in the Archeology lab at the Kansas Historical Society, is made of whiteware. The octagonal dish decorated by a transferware pattern and still has some of the geometric border still visible. On the sides of the dish a building similar to the Taj Mahal is also visible, a scene likely replicated in the center of dish. The dish was recovered at the Baker House in Morris County, which burned in 1862, along with the nearby store. The owner, A.I. Baker, was murdered at this time. The site was excavated in 1972 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field school. The collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993.


Shell-Edged Plate Sherd from the Union Pacific Depot, 14DO324

Shell-Edged Plate Sherd from the Union Pacific Depot, 14DO324
Date: 1869-1950
This dinner plate sherd was recovered during excavations at the Union Pacific Railroad Depot in Lawrence, Kansas. The scalloped shell-like edge is a transferware pattern called "shell-edged" that was popular from the late 1700s to the 1860s. This site served not only as a depot, but also had dwellings, a meat market, a saloon, a possible boarding house or hotel, a grain elevator and other commercial buildings located within the project area excavated in 1995 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists.


Soup Bowl from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Soup Bowl from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1882-1925
This nearly complete soup bowl was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The bowl was a surface find in Feature 34, a cellar, and may represent a later trash dumping episode. The bowl was manufactured by The Potters Co-Operative of East Liverpool, Ohio, as is indicated by the makers mark, which operated from 1882 to 1925.


Transferware Plate from the Wea Mission, 14MM322

Transferware Plate from the Wea Mission, 14MM322
Date: 1847-1874
These plate sherds were likely all from one plate and were recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. The plate depicts a landscape that had been added to the plate by transfer printing, called transferware. The excavations revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and other occupants until 1909 when the house burned.


W. S. George Dish from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327

W. S. George Dish from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327
Date: 1904-1912
This stained and crazed base of a plate was recovered during excavations in 2014 of the Adair cabin site, home of Reverend Samuel and Florella Brown Adair and their family, in Osawatomie, Kansas. This plate dates to a later period and has the lettering "RWOOD/ W. S. GEORGE" on the back. This indicates it was manufactured by the W. S. George Pottery Company of Pennsylvania in their Derwood pattern.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.