Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Urbin I. Rudell photograph collection Urbin I. Rudell photograph collection

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 737,218
Bookbag items: 41,275
Registered users: 12,460

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 12

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Archeological Artifacts - Site Name - Hard Chief's Village

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 12 of 12 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Belt Style Axe from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Belt Style Axe from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
This axe was recovered at excavations at Hard Chief's Village during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program. Hard Chief's village was occupied by the Kansa. Belt style axes were common English and French fur trade items and were forged from a single band of iron folded in half and hammer welded together at the blade. An opening was left at the bend of the fold for the handle of the axe. This axe was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact.


Burned Corn Cobs from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Burned Corn Cobs from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
Shown are some of the burned corn cobs that were recovered at Hard Chief's Village during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The village was occupied by the Kansa from 1830 to 1847. The cobs vary between seven, eight and nine rows of kernels.


Dragoon Buttons from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Dragoon Buttons from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
These two Dragoon buttons were recovered during the excavation at the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at Hard Chief's Village, a Kansa village site in Shawnee County. Both buttons show a left facing eagle with a "D" visible on the shield. Arrows are held in the right claw (symbolizing war) and an olive branch is held in the left claw (symbolizing peace). Both pieces are missing their back. This size of button was generally used for officer's coats.


Drawknife from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Drawknife from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
This drawknife was recovered during the excavation of Hard Chief's Village at the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. Drawknives are woodworking tools that shape the wood by removing shavings. It was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. Hard Chief's Village was a Kansa village in Shawnee County.


Drill from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Drill from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848 CE
This drill, made of Smoky Hill silicified chalk, was recovered during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program at Hard Chief's Village. Drills were used to bore holes in softer materials than the drill material itself, such as hides, shells, or soft stone. Hard Chief's village was a Kansa site in Shawnee County.


English Gunflint from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

English Gunflint from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
This gunflint fragment was recovered from the surface of Hard Chief's village, a Kansa village site in Shawnee County during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. This gunflint was quarried and manufactured in southern England.


Felling Axe from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Felling Axe from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848 CE
This felling axe was recovered at the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program at Hard Chief's Village, a Kansa village occupied between 1830 and 1847. The axe is designed for felling trees, with a thin sharp bit end that tapers out toward the head. It was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact.


Grub Hoe from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Grub Hoe from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848 CE
This iron grubbing hoe was recovered from Hard Chief's Village during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school. The hoe would have been used for digging, gardening and farming. It was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. Hard Chief's Village was a Kansa village in Shawnee County.


Metal Arrow Point from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Metal Arrow Point from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848 CE
This metal arrow point was recovered during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program at Hard Chief's village, a Kansas village site in Shawnee County. Some metal points were made by Indians from scraps of metal such as barrel bands. Others were manufactured and traded to them by Europeans and Americans.


Pipestone Artifact from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Pipestone Artifact from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
This pipestone artifact was recovered from Hard Chief's village, a Kansa village site in Shawnee County during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The carveable pipestone was in an early stage of manufacture, possibly as a pendant or for a pipe. The soft fine grain material enabled the carver to shape and smooth the piece and then incise or score two deep lines across one surface.


Stone Pipe Blank from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Stone Pipe Blank from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
This stone pipe blank was recovered from excavation at the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at Hard Chief's Village in Shawnee County. The pipe was broken into three pieces when it was recovered. It was marked by a trowel or shovel on the "bowl" end during discovery. The pipes maker had smoothed out the shape of the pipe, but had not begun to carve out the interior. A groove covers nearly half of the "stem" end of the pipe.


Trade Beads from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301

Trade Beads from Hard Chief's Village, 14SH301
Date: 1831-1848
These beads were recovered during the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at Hard Chief's Village. Beads such as these were widely traded until the 1850s. All are made of blue, green, and white glass in either round or faceted shapes. Hard Chief's village was a Kansa site in Shawnee County.


Showing 1 - 12

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.