Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1854-1860 (1)
1861-1869 (1)
1870s (1)
1900s (8)
1930s (3)
1940s (8)
1950s (15)
1960s (6)
1970s (8)
1980s (2)
1990s (1)
2010s (3)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Alfalfa field and irrigation canal in Finney County, Kansas Alfalfa field and irrigation canal in Finney County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,240
Bookbag items: 35,874
Registered users: 10,890

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 52

Category Filters

Built Environment - Kansas Historical Markers

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 52 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Battle of Mine Creek historical marker, Linn County, Kansas

Battle of Mine Creek historical marker, Linn County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas Department of Transportation
Date: 1964
This group of photographs depict the Kansas historical marker for the "Battle of Mine Creek". Located one mile south Pleasanton, Kansas on U. S. Highway 69 in Linn County, Kansas. The photograph that has crowds in the background was taken during the centennial ceremony of the battle in October 1964.


Battle of Mine Creek markers, Linn County, Kansas

Battle of Mine Creek markers, Linn County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1971
These two photographs represent the historical marker commemorating the Battle of Mine Creek in Linn County, Kansas. One photograph depicts the marker from far providing a better representation of the entire marker while the other portrays the marker close to read the inscription on the marker.


Congregational Church and cemetery in Maple Hill, Kansas

Congregational Church and cemetery in Maple Hill, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
Here are two photographs of the old stone Eliot Congregational Church and historical marker located near Maple Hill, Kansas. Founded in 1875, the church was named for the mother congregation in Newton, Massachusetts. Several members of that church came to the Maple Hill area. A pulpit and altar Bible were donated by the Eliot Congregational Church of Newton for the newly constructed church. The limestone building (now known as the Old Stone Church) was erected in 1882. The church was destroyed by a tornado on April 26, 1991. The Old Stone Church was rebuilt and is still used for occasional weddings, funerals, and a special service on the Sunday preceding Memorial Day.


Constitution Hall

Constitution Hall
Date: Possibly between 1857 and 1900
This is a view of Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas. This building was where pro-slavery delegates to the Constitutional Convention debated the divisive issue of slavery in Kansas. It is administered as a state historic site by the Kansas Historical Society. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1939
A photograph of Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas. In January 1857, the second territorial legislative assembly met on the upper floor of this building. The Kansas Legislature approved the state to operate Constitution Hall State Historic Site in 1986. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1957
These photographs represent individual views of Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas in 1957. The photographs were taken by staff of the Kansas Historical Society. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1957
This is a view of Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas. In 1857, proslavery delegates gathered at the hall and wrote a constitution, which would have brought Kansas into the Union as a slave-holding state. On August 2, 1858, after several attempts to pass the constitution, it was decisively voted down. The building is a state historic site and maintained by the Kansas State Historical Society. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1908
This building served as the seat of the Kansas Territorial government in 1857 and 1858. The second territorial legislature met here in 1857. The constitutional convention that drafted the Lecompton Constitution also met here. At the time this photo was taken, the building served as the meeting hall for the International Order of Odd Fellows. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1908-1955
This series of photographs represent different views of Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas from 1908 through 1955. Several of the photographs were used by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.). Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1955
Two photographs of Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas. In January 1857 the second territorial legislative assembly met on the upper floor of this building. The Kansas Legislature approved the state to operate Constitution Hall State Historic Site in 1986. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Dedication of historical marker at Trading Post cemetery, Linn County, Kansas

Dedication of historical marker at Trading Post cemetery, Linn County, Kansas
Date: October 09, 1941
A photograph showing the dedication of a historical marker at Trading Post cemetery in Linn County, Kansas. Near Trading Post is the site of the Marais de Cygne Massacre, which occurred on May 19, 1858. A memorial to those killed and wounded in the massacre is located at the Trading Post Cemetery. The Marais des Cygnes Massacres site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


East Building, Shawnee Indian Mission

East Building, Shawnee Indian Mission
Date: 1958
This photograph represents the East Building and the historical marker labeling the building at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Fairway, Kansas. In 1968, the Shawnee Indian Mission was declared a National Historic Landmark and has since been under the operation of the Kansas Historical Society.


East Building, Shawnee Indian Mission

East Building, Shawnee Indian Mission
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: about 1958
These two photographs represent the East Building of the Shawnee Indian Mission in Fairway, Kansas. Both photographs capture the historic marker labeling the building as the East Building, but one photograph also includes the historic marker for the West Building of the Mission. In 1968, the Shawnee Indian Mission was declared a National Historic Landmark and has since been under the operation of the Kansas Historical Society.


El Quartelejo Monument Scott County, Kansas

El Quartelejo Monument Scott County, Kansas
Creator: Walker, Russell W.
Date: February 28, 1948
This black and white photograph shows a view of the El Quartelejo Monument in Scott City, Kansas. This site located north of Scott City, Kansas and along Ladder Creek inside the Lake Scott State Park, is the archeological remains of a Indian pueblo. A group of Taos Indians migrated to the region from New Mexico around 1664 to escape Spanish oppression and to live among the Plains Apache Indians. To honor this historical area, a granite marker was erected in 1925 by the Kansas Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. In 1964, the ruins were recognized as a National Historic Landmark. The ruins are deteriorating and are considered a "at risk" site.


Excavations at Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Excavations at Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1988
In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at Constitution Hall in Lecompton, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation. Shown in these photographs are an excavation unit with many artifacts exposed, a turn of the century sidewalk exposed, archeologists uncovering footing for a staircase, an early well, and the interior of the building during excavation after the removal of the floor boards. Constitution Hall was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution. The building is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places and as a National Historic Landmark. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles.


Farm Credit historical marker, Pawnee County

Farm Credit historical marker, Pawnee County
Date: November 22, 1982
Photograph of the Kansas historical marker located just a few miles southwest of Larned. It designates the birthplace of the Farm Credit System. It sits near the 280 acres which was used as collateral for the nation's first land bank loan in 1917. The land bank was the first of three agricultural lending institutions which comprise today's cooperative Farm Credit System. The marker has been erected at a time in which our nation's land banks and land bank associations are observing their 65th anniversary of providing long-term credit to farmers and ranchers. Pictured at the far left in the photo taken November 22, 1982, is Robert W. Richmond, Assistant Director of Kansas State Historical Society.


Fort Larned bridge dedication

Fort Larned bridge dedication
Date: October 27, 1963
This photo is of the dedication of the new bridge at the fort and shows the dedication marker, erected in honor of Ralph L. Wallace for service and inspiration in the opening of historic Fort Larned. The four men holding the marker are identified L to R as: Rolla Clymer, El Dorado; Larry Knowles, National Park Service, Omaha; Sen. Glee Smith, Larned; and Addison Meschke, Director of Highways.


Fort Larned historical marker

Fort Larned historical marker
Date: 1961
Postcard view of the Fort Larned Historical Marker erected by the Kansas Historical Society and Kansas Highway Comm.


Geographical center of the United States marker, Smith County, Lebanon, Kansas

Geographical center of the United States marker, Smith County, Lebanon, Kansas
Date: 1940s or 1950s
This is a view of a marker at Lebanon, Kansas, representing the geographical center of the United States. It was sponsored by the Lebanon Hub Club, April 23, 1940.


Goodyear Rubber Buttons from Constitution Hall, 14DO321

Goodyear Rubber Buttons from Constitution Hall, 14DO321
Date: 1857-1872
These four buttons were among the many that were recovered from Constitution Hall in Lecompton, Kansas. The four black rubber buttons have back marks that read "N R CO GOODYEAR'S P=T." This is the mark of the Novelty Rubber Company that manufactured these type of buttons between 1853 and 1872. Constitution Hall served as the seat of the Kansas Territorial government in 1857 and 1858. The second territorial legislature met here in 1857 as did the constitutional convention that drafted the Lecompton Constitution. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at Constitution Hall, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation.


Historical marker, Indian burial pit, Saline County

Historical marker, Indian burial pit, Saline County
Date: Possibly taken in 1941
Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission historical marker erected near the site of the Indian burial pit in Saline County, Kansas. Photo is stamped "Zellner, Photographer, Junction City, Kas."


Hollenberg Pony Express Station historical marker, Hanover, Kansas

Hollenberg Pony Express Station historical marker, Hanover, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1980
A photograph of the Hollenberg Pony Express Station historical marker in Hanover, Kansas. This station was established in 1857 by Gerat H. and Sophia Hollenberg. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier, as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subject buildings

Kansas Film Commission site photographs, subject buildings
Creator: Kansas Film Commission
Date: 1980s and 1990s
These are panoramic photographs of locations in Kansas created by the Kansas Film Commission to promote scenes to film companies. The panoramics were created by taking individual photos and taping them together. The photographs are arranged alphabetically by subject and then location. This part of the collection contains photographs of buildings, including historic buildings, miscellaneous buildings, office buildings, unique buildings, and warehouses. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Kansas Historical Marker, Oberlin, Kansas

Kansas Historical Marker, Oberlin, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
These two black and white photographs show the Kansas Historical Marker commemorating the Last Indian Raid in Kansas. The sign was erected by the Kansas Historical Society and the State Highway Commission recognizing the events of September 30, 1878 when a band of Northern Cheyenne Indians lead by Chief Dull Knife killed nineteen settlers along the Sappa Creek in Oberlin, Kansas.


Lecompton Slavery Capital marker, Lecompton, Kansas

Lecompton Slavery Capital marker, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1956
This photograph represents the Historical Marker in Lecompton, Kansas, three miles south Constitutional Hall marking it as the "Lecompton Slavery Capital". The sign was removed from the site in April 1995. Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.