Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Grave markers for the last Indian raid in Kansas Grave markers for the last Indian raid in Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 737,179
Bookbag items: 41,020
Registered users: 12,416

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 12

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Personal Artifacts - Personal Gear - Money

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 12 of 12 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


1819 One cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1819 One cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This one cent coin was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The cent, now commonly called a penny, was also called a large cent. The Matron head design shown here was minted between 1816 and 1839. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1844
This quarter was minted in 1844 in New Orleans. It was recovered from the site of the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program, the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. It shows a seated Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1866 Three cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1866 Three cent coin from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This three cent coin was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The three cent coin was minted from 1851 to 1889, first in silver and then in 1865, in nickel. This coin was minted in 1866 and has a Liberty head on the obverse side and a Roman numeral III on the reverse. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1876-1889
This seated Liberty quarter was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. On the obverse side of the quarter Liberty is seated on a rock holding a liberty pole, resting her hand on a shield and surrounded above by 13 stars. On the reverse side is an eagle with a ribbon with the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it. An olive branch and arrows are positioned in the eagle's talons and there is a shield on its breast. The quarter was minted in 1876 in Carson City, Nevada. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

1880 Liberty Head Half Eagle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1880-1889
This coin was recovered during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. The $5.00 coin is 90% gold and 10% copper. Minted in 1880, the coin has a Liberty or Coronet head on the obverse side and an eagle with shield on the reverse side. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Coins from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1868
Both of these coins were recovered in 1966 from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. One is a shield nickel minted in 1868. The obverse side shows a shield representing the United States, while the reverse side shows the denomination surrounded by stars. The other coin, also minted in 1868, is an Indian head penny. The obverse side shows Liberty with a head dress, while the reverse side depicts a laurel wreath. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1854-1864
Shown are two coins that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The 1854 half dime shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the year on the obverse side. The arrows indicate that that the coin weight had been reduced. The reverse of the half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The 2¢ coin's obverse side shows a shield with "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the banner and the mint date of 1864. The reverse side is too corroded to discern what was present.


Seated Liberty Dimes from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Seated Liberty Dimes from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
These seated Liberty dimes were recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. On the obverse side of the dimes Liberty is sitting on a rock holding a liberty pole and resting her hand on a shield. On the reverse side are the words "ONE DIME" surrounded by a wreath. The dimes on the top row, left to right, were minted in 1841 and 1852. Those on the bottom row, left to right, were minted in 1875, 1877, and 1882. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Shield Nickel from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Shield Nickel from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1867
This shield nickel was excavated at Fort Zarah in 1969 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The nickel was minted in 1867 and bears a shield on one side with the number 5 surrounded by stars on the reverse. The fort was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869. The trading post building inside the fort, where the nickel was located, burned in 1868.


Shield Nickels from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Shield Nickels from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
These shield nickels were recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society. The obverse side of the both coins shows a shield representing the United States. The nickel on the left was minted in 1866 and shows the denomination surrounded by stars and rays on the reverse side. The nickel on the right was minted in 1867 and shows the denomination surrounded by stars only. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Three-cent Coin from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Three-cent Coin from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1851
This unique three-cent silver coin was recovered during the excavation at the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. The coin was minted in New Orleans from 1851 to 1853. Later version of the three-cent coin were minted with less silver than was this first type. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places 1971.


Two-Cent Coin from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362

Two-Cent Coin from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362
Date: 1864-1873
This two-cent coin was found pierced by a nail in the southwest room of the East Building at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Johnson County. The two-cent coin was not popular and was only minted from 1864 to 1873. It did, however, introduce the phrase "In God We Trust" on money. This particular coin was minted in 1866. The Mission was built in 1839 for the Shawnee Tribe and closed in 1862. The life of the building did not end there as during the Civil War troops were quartered there and later it saw use as a dance hall, dairy bottling plant, apartments and a boarding house until becoming property of the state in 1927.


Showing 1 - 12

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.