Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Fairbanks Morse switcher, Argentine, Kansas Fairbanks Morse switcher, Argentine, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,862
Bookbag items: 37,992
Registered users: 11,653

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 22

Category Filters

Collections - Museum - Main gallery - Public Health

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 22 of 22 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Cup

Cup
Date: between 1800 and 1920
Hand-wrought communal iron drinking cup with attached chain. The cup was attached to a rock by the Sulphur Spring public spring near Fort Scott around 1800 and saw continuous use until communal drinking cups were banned by the Kansas State Board of Health in 1909. The cup was replaced by a sanitary drinking fountain on November 1, 1911. Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine, Director of the Board of Health, used the cup in his public health and sanitation campaigns, and it was later displayed at the Paper Cup and Container Institute in New York.


Dental case

Dental case
Date: between 1871 and 1907
Rosewood case with metal hardware. Hinged lid plus three drawers, one on the front and one on each side. Side drawers include one secondary drawer each. The case contains a set of ivory-handled dental instruments (1951.19.2 to 95). Belonged to Dr. Eben Palmer (1846-1916). Palmer began praciticing dentistry in his native Ohio in 1871, and relocated with his family to Jackson County, Kansas in 1881. He remained in practice in Jackson County until his retirement in 1907.


Doctor's bag

Doctor's bag
Creator: Hettinger Brothers Manufacturing Company
Date: Unknown date
Black leather doctor's bag with brass hardware. Carried by Dr. George Campbell McKnight (1866-1942) of Hiawatha, Kansas. After graduating from Rush Medical College in Chicago in 1892, he returned to Hiawatha and entered into a surgical and medical practice. In addition to practicing medicine, McKnight also served as Mayor of Hiawatha from 1914 to 1920. The bag was made by Hettinger Brothers Manufacturing Company of Kansas City, Missouri.


Electric hairbrush

Electric hairbrush
Creator: Pall Mall Electric Association
Date: between 1904 and 1910
Dr. Scott's Electric Hair Brush. Ornately decorated blue-green hard rubber brush with black bristles. Also includes the original carboard box and enclosed catalog. George August Scott's hairbrushes and other "electric" devices were widely popular in the United States throughout the 1880s. The handles of the brushes were embedded with a slightly magnetized iron or steel rod, and they were often packaged with a small compass to demonstrate their power. Scott's company, the Pall Mall Electric Association, was based in London, although they also had offices in New York.


Fly swatter

Fly swatter
Date: between 1900 and 1950
Flyswatter with black painted wooden handle and black screen swatter. "Swat the Fly" was one of Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine's many public health campaigns, which also included "Bat the Rat", "Don't Spit on the Sidewalk," and efforts to ban communal drinking cups and hand towels.


Foot warmer

Foot warmer
Creator: Chicago Flexible Shaft Company
Date: between 1910 and 1930
Clark Heater Number 7-D by the Chicago Flexible Shaft Company. Metal wedge-shaped case covered in green wool carpet. Drawer on right side for holding coal. Vents on left side and back. Foot warmer was used by Dr. Otto Clarence Fritts (1876-1967) when he worked as a "horse and buggy doctor." Fritts began practicing medicine in 1897, originally in his native Missouri. In 1922 he relocated to Osage City, Kansas, where he continued to practice until his death in 1967. He used the foot warmer for many years while making housecalls during cold weather, both in his buggy and later in his car. Founded in the early 1890s as a manufacturer of livestock clippers and shearers, the Chicago Flexible Steel Company began making small appliances including heaters in about 1908. In 1946 it was reorganized as Sunbeam.


Forceps

Forceps
Creator: Caswell, Hazard & Co.
Date: between 1880 and 1891
Obstetrical forceps. Black wooden handles. From the medical office of Dr. Floyd E. Richmond (1872-1955) of Stockton, Kansas. Dr. Richmond practiced medicine in Stockton for thirty years, and his office was upstairs in the Dye Building. He also served as the Postmaster of Logan. W.F. Ford first joined with Caswell, Hazard and Company in 1874. They dissolved the partnership in 1891, although both firms remained in operation through at least 1900.


Glass

Glass
Date: between 1890 and 1910
Public drinking glass from the Santa Fe Railway. The rounded base was designed to fit into a corresponding receptical in a communal water cooler. The Kansas State Board of Health, under the leadership of Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine, banned the use of common drinking cups in 1909.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Creator: The A.B. Seelye Company
Date: between 1919 and 1926
Empty clear glass bottle for Seelye's Wasa-Tusa, "For Man and Beast, Internal and External." The A.B. Seelye Company of Abilene was established in 1890 and incorporated in 1897. It became one of the few large patent medicine concerns in the central prairie states. Wasa-Tusa was first released around 1890. The Obear-Nester Glass Company of East St. Louis used the Square-N mark from 1915 until 1978. This bottle came from a drug store and soda fountain in Delia, Kansas.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Creator: The Abilena Company
Date: between 1913 and 1919
AbilenA Water. Brown bottle with tin cap and yellow, red, and blue paper label. Bottle is about half full of clear liquid with white sediments at bottom. AbilenA Water was drawn from a well in northern Willowdale Township, Dickinson County. It was first bottled by P.H. Halleck and H.E. Ellison in 1900. Their original company, the Abilene Drug Company, was reorganized as the AbilenA Company in 1901 with a capital stock of $10,000. At that time the water sold for $0.25 per bottle. The company headquarters moved to Chicago in 1919. Advertisments for the water disappear from newspapers in the mid 1940s. This bottle came from the drug store of long-time Hutchinson druggist Terry L. Foltz.


Medicine bottle

Medicine bottle
Creator: Kurtz Medicine Company
Date: between 1906 and 1925
Bottle of Kurtz's Electric Oil, a patent medicine liniment made by the Kurtz Medicine Company of Fort Scott, Kansas. Glass bottle with paper label is stopped with a cork and still contains 4 mm of brown liquid. Also includes the orginal paper box. David Haynes Kurtz (1856-1923) came to Fort Scott from Pennsylvania in 1886. His drug store was located at 6 North Main Street, and he eventually expanded the business to include wholesale patent medicine.


Medicine box

Medicine box
Date: between 1923 and 1938
Jar of Vaporizing Mentho-Goose-Grease Compound distributed by Foltz Pharmacy of Hutchinson. Includes opaque white octagonal jar with lid, orginal box, and blue paper envelope with a free sample of Foltz's Cold Capsules. Terry L. Foltz (1885-1970), who was born in Cimarron, came to Hutchinson in 1904. He opened his first drug store in Hutchinson in 1913 at 325 North Main Street. By 1919 he had expanded to three stores, all along Main Street. In 1938 he reduced his number of stores, although he continued to work as a pharmacist in Hutchinson until the time of his death.


Medicine box

Medicine box
Creator: Stocks, Chester L.
Date: between 1896 and 1934
Counter display for Dr. C.L. Stocks' Kansas Headache Cure containing twelve individual boxes of medicine. The display and boxes are cardboard faced with pale blue paper. The individual boxes each have a white label printed in dark blue. Chester L. Stocks was Bushong's only druggist and medical doctor from 1896 to 1934.


Medicine jar

Medicine jar
Creator: A.B. Seelye Company
Date: between 1923 and 1940
Jar of Seelye's Fro-Zona ointment. Opaque white glass jar with black metal lid and paper label. The A.B. Seelye Company of Abilene was established in 1890 and incorporated in 1897. It became one of the few large patent medicine concerns in the central prairie states.


Medicine tin

Medicine tin
Creator: Mentholatum Company
Date: between 1906 and 1935
Small round tin of Mentholatum. Cover illustration of a young girl dressed as a nurse. Manufactured by the Mentholatum Company of Wichita. The company was originally founded as the Yucca Company in 1889 by Albert Alexander Hyde (1848-1935) and two partners as a manufacturer of soaps, shaving creams, and perfumes. In 1894 Hyde developed Mentholatum ointment, which was an immediate success and quickly became the company's top selling product. In 1903 Hyde organized a second office in Buffalo, New York to handle sales and distribution east of the Mississippi River. In 1906 the business was renamed The Mentholatum Company and it stopped producing any other products. In 1909-10 they built a large factory in Wichita at 1300 E. Douglas, the City's first steel-reinforced, poured-concrete structure. They built a second factory in Buffalo in 1919. After Hyde's death in 1935 the company headquarters were relocated to Buffalo.


Nurse's hat

Nurse's hat
Date: between 1892 and 1894
Sheer white nurse's hat. Gathered and pleated around edge. Part of the student uniform of Edetha Dodds Womer (1869-1949), the first graduate of Christ Hospital of Topeka's nursing program in 1894.


Paper cup

Paper cup
Creator: P. & O. Manufacturing Company
Date: between 1907 and 1910
Paper sanitary drinking cup. Folds flat. The Kansas State Board of Health, under the leadership of Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine, banned the use of common drinking cups in 1909. The P. & O. Manufacturing Company of Ohio registered a Pennsylvania charter for its Pittsburgh operations sometime between 1907 and 1909, and merged into the Public Health Supply Company in 1910.


Paving brick

Paving brick
Creator: Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Tile Company
Date: between 1904 and 1924
Clay brick with imprint, "Don't Spit on Sidewalk." These bricks were the brainchild of Dr. Samuel Crumbine of Dodge City, Kansas, who served as Secretary of the Kansas State Board of Health from 1904 to 1924. Crumbine was concerned with the spread of disease and fought for sanitary conditions. The Capital City Vitrified Brick and Paving Company of Topeka was apparently the first company to create the "Don't Spit" bricks. The Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Paving Company and others followed.


Pill machine

Pill machine
Date: between 1850 and 1930
Pill roller consisting of an inclined base and a two-handled paddle. Wooden with brass hardware, including a brass plate with semi-circular channels both towards the bottom of the base and on one face of the paddle. The medicine, while still a putty-like consistency, is rolled between the flat side of the paddle and the upper part of the base into a rope of uniform diameter. The paddle is flipped over and the rope is forced perpendicularly between the channels of the two brass plates, creating identically-sized pills that are then air dried. This roller has a capacity of twenty-five pills and bears a Diamond-M or Diamond-W maker's mark on the back of the paddle.


Quarantine sign

Quarantine sign
Date: between 1915 and 1935
Quarantine sign for scarlet fever. Black block letters on red cardboard. Families whose members were ill with a contagious disease would purchase and display a quarantine sign either in the front window or on the front door. This sign belonged to Chester L. Stocks, a druggist and medical doctor in Bushong from 1896 to 1934.


Stethoscope

Stethoscope
Date: between 1860 and 1890
Laennec-style monaural stethoscope. Wooden tube, flared at both ends. Used by James Haller (1824-1907). Haller, a doctor from Middleton, Ohio, was commissioned as an Assistant Surgeon of the 38th Regiment Ohio Volunteers on June 10, 1861. On July 13, 1963 he was promoted to surgeon. Following the Battle of Chickamauga he was trasnferred to the hospital of the Third Division of the 14th Army Corps, where he remained until mustering out on January 9, 1865. Haller and his wife, Annie B. Schenck, settled in Burlingame, Kansas in 1868, where he continued to practice medicine. Haller served at least two terms as Mayor of Burlingame. He was also appointed by Governor Glick as a regent of the State Normal School at Emporia.


Tonsillotome

Tonsillotome
Creator: Chas. Truax & Co.
Date: between 1887 and 1920
Tonillotome for performing tonsillectomies. Steel rod with a ring at the end. Pulling back on the handle draws a guillotine-style blade across the ring to excise the tonsil. A skewer can also be extended across the ring to hold the tonsil in place during the procedure and extract it with the instrument. Charles Truax and Company was founded in Chicago in 1887 as a partnership between Charles Truax, Frank C. Greene, and Charles W. Bassett. Sometime after 1893 the name was changed to Truax, Greene & Company, and the business was dissolved in 1920.


Showing 1 - 22

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.