Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Old council oak tree in Council Grove, Kansas Old council oak tree in Council Grove, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 608,782
Bookbag items: 36,925
Registered users: 11,179

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 17

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Archeological Artifacts - Site Name - Quindaro

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 17 of 17 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Bears Grease Jar Lid from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Bears Grease Jar Lid from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This lid from a jar of Bears Grease hair conditioner was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. The lid reads "Genuine BEARS GREASE (For T)he Hair PREPARED BY JULES HAUEL Perfumer 120 Chestnut St. PHILADELPHIA." Hauel was listed as being located at the 120 Chestnut Street address until 1854 when he moved. He continued to make the Bears Grease product until 1865.


Buffalo Brick from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Buffalo Brick from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1902-1966
This brick, with the word "Buffalo" molded on one side, was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. The Buffalo Brick plant of Buffalo, Kansas, was in operation from 1901 to 1966, though they did not begin to manufacture bricks until 1902. As these dates are somewhat later in Quindaro's history it may be that the brick was part of a dumping episode.


Ceramic Pipe from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Ceramic Pipe from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1850-1859
This ceramic pipe was recovered during excavations at the Quindaro townsite in 1986. It was first associated with a feature at the site that was discovered to be a late 19th to early 20th century farmstead. However, as it was recovered deeply buried in a trench the Archaeologist determined that it dated from the 1850s. The pipe has a faint mark, perhaps a maker's mark, on either side of the stem. A small amount of charcoal-like residue is at the base of the pipe bowl's interior, though there are no other signs that it had been smoked.


Child's Cup from Quindaro, 14WY314

Child's Cup from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This child's cup was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The brief occupation of the Quindaro Townsite and the rapid sealing of archeological deposits help today's Archeologists to see a snapshot in time. Though the cup is missing a handle and several key words from the verse, enough remains to conjecture it was a religious poem for the month of April.


Flow Blue Plate from Quindaro, 14WY314

Flow Blue Plate from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This dinner plate was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. The decoration on the plate was deliberately blurred, a hallmark of flow blue patterns. The back of the plate has both a printed and impressed maker's mark, indicating that it was manufactured by Podmore, Walker and Company of Tunstall, England, who operated c. 1834 to 1859. The pattern name of the plate was Manilla.


Gothic Pepper Sauce Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

Gothic Pepper Sauce Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This Gothic style pepper sauce bottle was excavated from the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. These bottles are sometimes more common called Cathedral style because the panels appear to display cathedral windows.


Gothic pepper sauce bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

Gothic pepper sauce bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This Gothic style pepper sauce bottle was excavated from the Quindaro Townsite (14WY314), an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, Kansas. These bottles are sometimes more commonly called Cathedral style because the panels appear to display cathedral windows.


Hot Sauce Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

Hot Sauce Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1932-1955
This hot sauce bottle was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. A "J" inside a keystone on the base of the bottle indicates the bottle was manufactured by the Knox Glass Bottle Company of Mississippi. As these dates are somewhat later in Quindaro's history it may be that the hot sauce bottle was part of a dumping episode.


Ironstone Plate from Quindaro, 14WY314

Ironstone Plate from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1834-1859
This portion of an ironstone plate was recovered from the Quindaro town site and reconstructed by archeologists. The oriental flowblue pattern dish was manufactured by Podmore, Walker and Co of Tunstall, England.


Marble from the Quindaro Townsite, 14WY314

Marble from the Quindaro Townsite, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This unglazed German hand-painted procelain marble was recovered from the surface of the remains of the Wyandot House Hotel at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. Black double lines circle the shooter, which additionally has a red and blue floral pattern. Marbles such as these were manufactured from the mid 1840s to 1870. The brief occupation of the Quindaro Townsite and the rapid sealing of archeological deposits help today's Archeologists to see a snapshot in time.


McDonald's Pharmacy Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

McDonald's Pharmacy Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1894-1911
This clear glass bottle was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The bottle's embossed lettering proclaims it once came from McDonald's Pharmacy located on Independence and Prospect Aves (Kansas City, Kansas) and once held medicine or pharmaceuticals. More telling are the bottle maker's marks on the bottom of the bottle. There the lettering is DF & CO surrounded by rays. This helps Archeologist's to identify that the bottle was made by wholesale house for druggists' ware of Dean, Foster & Co between 1894 and 1911, post dating the occupation at Quindaro (1857-1863).


Osgood's India Cholagogue Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

Osgood's India Cholagogue Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1865
This patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The aqua tinted glass bottle has a pontil on the bottom and is embossed on three panels with the words: Osgood's India Cholagogue New York. It was manufactured by C. H. and F. L. Osgood of Norwich, Connecticut, as a fever and ague remedy. The brief occupation of the Quindaro Townsite and the rapid sealing of archeological deposits help today's Archeologists to see a snapshot in time.


Pitcher from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Pitcher from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This whiteware pitcher fragment may be an example of hotelware or restaurant ware, a sturdy type of tableware. It was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The brief occupation of the Quindaro Townsite and the rapid sealing of archeological deposits help today's Archeologists to see a snapshot in time.


Soup Bowl from Quindaro, 14WY314

Soup Bowl from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1851
This soup bowl was found in pieces in the area that was the approximate location of the Quindaro Hotel in Quindaro, Wyandotte County, Kansas. It was reconstructed after excavation. The maker's mark on the back of the bowl reads "PRIZE MEDAL 1851" in the upper arch and has a lion and a unicorn flanking a Parcel 4 Registry Mark that dates to September 2, 1851. Below this the potter's name appears in the banner: "T. J. & J. Mayer." In the lower arch appears "LE HALL POTTERY, Longport. IN IRONSTONE," which when complete read Dale Hall Pottery and Improved Berlin Ironstone. T. J. & J. Mayer were the Thomas J. and John Mayer potters of Longport, England.


Soup Bowl from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Soup Bowl from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1882-1925
This nearly complete soup bowl was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The bowl was a surface find in Feature 34, a cellar, and may represent a later trash dumping episode. The bowl was manufactured by The Potters Co-Operative of East Liverpool, Ohio, as is indicated by the makers mark, which operated from 1882 to 1925.


Three Compartment Dinner Plate from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Three Compartment Dinner Plate from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1912-1979
This nearly complete stained and chipped dinner plate was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. The plate, a semi-vitreous hotelware, was manufactured by Shenago China of New Castle, Pennsylvania. Based on the makers mark on the back, the plate was a later addition to the Quindaro story, possibly part of a trash dump.


W and A Gilbey Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

W and A Gilbey Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1935-1964
This gin bottle was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. As the townsite dates from 1857 to 1863 this bottle was likely part of a later dumping episode. Walter and Alfred Gilbey were distillers in London, England. As their gin was widely counterfeited during prohibition they sand blasted three sides of their gin bottles to make them distinctive. The diamond shaped area would have held a paper label. On the clear side is embossed "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE FULL 1/2 PINT W & A GILBEY LTD." The aluminum screw on cap repeats the Gilbey name.


Showing 1 - 17

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.