Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Random Item

Halstead Hospital staff and doctor photographs Halstead Hospital staff and doctor photographs

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 744,235
Bookbag items: 43,192
Registered users: 13,079

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 18

Category Filters

Collections - 360-degree views

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 18 of 18 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Baker's Standard Flavoring Extracts bottle, 14MM327

Baker's Standard Flavoring Extracts bottle, 14MM327
Date: 1880-1962
A bottle recovered from the original site of the Adair Cabin in Osawatomie, Kansas. It's bold lettering announces that it once held Baker's Standard Flavoring Extract made by the Baker Extract Company of Springfield, Massachusetts.


Candlestick Holder from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Candlestick Holder from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This candlestick holder was excavated at Fort Hays in Ellis County. It was recovered in four pieces and reconstructed. Once someone's proud possession, the holder is quite colorful and has an unusual leaf shape. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Crucifix Holder from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Crucifix Holder from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This crucifix holder was excavated from historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. Faint lettering on the front reads "ECCO HOMO," translated as "Behold (the) Man." Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Doll Head from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Doll Head from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This china doll head was excavated in 1966 at Fort Hays in Ellis County. China doll heads are described by their hair style. This doll, with her center parted hair and comb marks on the side most resembles those of the 1850s and 1860s. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Dr. D. Jayne's Expectorant Bottle

Dr. D. Jayne's Expectorant Bottle
Date: 1831-1930
This patent medicine bottle was recovered from the surface at Fort Riley in the main cantonment area. It carries the embossed lettering of "Dr. D. Jayne's Expectorant." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the expectorant after Jayne's death.


Dr. D. Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge Bottle

Dr. D. Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge Bottle
Date: 1916-1929
This bottle was found at a multicomponent site in Osage County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2014. Archeologists use the term multicomponent to indicate a site has been occupied periodically throughout time. At this site, artifacts indicate intermittent occupations from the Archaic, Early Ceramic, and Middle Ceramic Periods in addition to a modern occupation. The wording on the patent medicine bottle of Tonic Vermifuge proclaims it to be made by Dr. D. Jayne's of Philadelphia. A bottle maker's mark on the bottom shows that the bottle was made by the Illinois Glass Company between 1916-1929.


Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle

Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle
Date: 1874-1883
This complete extract bottle was recovered from the excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. Dr. Vincent Clarence Price (1832-1914, grandfather of the actor Vincent Price) manufactured and distributed baking powder, flavorings, and other foods. Price joined in partnership with Charles R. Steele from 1874 to 1883 to make the "most perfect made in Vanilla, Lemon, Orange, Etc" flavorings "prepared from true fruits." The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Enamelware Pitcher from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102

Enamelware Pitcher from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102
Date: 1877-1910
This enamelware pitcher was recovered during the 2007 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site. The pitcher is decorated with marbled cobalt blue and white enamelware, a process first invented in Germany in the 1760s as a way to coat iron so as to prevent rust and a metallic taste in food and drink. In America enamelware production began in the 1870s and continued until the 1930s. For this piece, after its life as a pitcher had passed, it served as a target, being hit at least seven times. The Thomas Johnson/ Henry Williams Dugout site was a domestic site related to the settlement of Nicodemus, an all black community in western Kansas.


Gothic Pepper Sauce Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

Gothic Pepper Sauce Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1863
This Gothic style pepper sauce bottle was excavated from the Quindaro Townsite, an archaeological district now part of Kansas City, KS. These bottles are sometimes more common called Cathedral style because the panels appear to display cathedral windows.


Osgood's India Cholagogue Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314

Osgood's India Cholagogue Bottle from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1857-1865
This patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavations at the Quindaro Townsite in Wyandotte County. The aqua tinted glass bottle has a pontil on the bottom and is embossed on three panels with the words: Osgood's India Cholagogue New York. It was manufactured by C. H. and F. L. Osgood of Norwich, Connecticut, as a fever and ague remedy. The brief occupation of the Quindaro Townsite and the rapid sealing of archeological deposits help today's Archeologists to see a snapshot in time.


Pike's Peak Flask from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Pike's Peak Flask from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1870
This flask was recovered during the 1966 excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The bottle has "For Pike's Peak" and "Old Rye" embossed on the front, in addition to a depiction of a miner with a walking cane, pick axe, and a small pack. The reverse has a simplistic American eagle with the words "Pittsburgh PA" below. The bottle has a champagne type finish. Figured flasks such as this one were manufactured from 1815 to 1870. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Prisoner of war bowl

Prisoner of war bowl
Date: between 1942 and 1945
Aluminum bowl with Japanese characters on the bottom. The bowl belonged to Colonel James C. Hughes, whom the Japanese held as a prisoner of war (POW) during World War II. Hughes had few possessions while in the camps; this bowl was among them. The etching on the bowl indicates that he used it while in Tarlac, a province in the Philippines. Tarlac was home to Camp O'Donnell, a prisoner of war camp that was the end destination for men on the Baatan Death March. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. In 1942, he was captured by the Japanese on the Bataan peninsula and spent the next 41 months in various Japanese POW camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Prisoner of war bowl

Prisoner of war bowl
Date: between 1942 and 1945
Aluminum bowl with Japanese characters on the bottom. "JHC PW TARLAC" is crudely etched into one side of the bowl. The bowl belonged to Colonel James C. Hughes, whom the Japanese held as a prisoner of war (POW) during World War II. Hughes had few possessions while in the camps; this bowl was among them. The etching on the bowl indicates that he used it while in Tarlac, a short-lived POW camp for high-ranking officers in the Philippines. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. In 1942, he was captured by the Japanese on the Bataan peninsula and spent the next 41 months in various Japanese POW camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Prisoner of war cup

Prisoner of war cup
Date: between 1942 and 1945
Small aluminum cup with handle. The cup belonged to Colonel James C. Hughes, whom the Japanese held as a prisoner of war during World War II. Hughes scavenged for some of his possessions while in the POW camps; the cup once belonged to another soldier who died while incarcerated. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. In 1942, he was captured by the Japanese on the Bataan peninsula and spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Prisoner of War trousers

Prisoner of War trousers
Date: between 1942 and 1945
Work trousers made of heavy blue fabric. The pants are well worn and have been patched throughout with burlap. Colonel James C. Hughes was issued these pants while being held as a prisoner of war by the Japanese during World War II. Born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, Hughes served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. In 1942, he was captured by the Japanese on the Bataan peninsula and spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Ridenour-Baker Grocery Bottle from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327

Ridenour-Baker Grocery Bottle from the Adair Cabin, 14MM327
Date: 1878-1933
This nearly complete bottle was recovered from the original site of the Adair Cabin in Osawatomie, Kansas in 2014. This bottle may have held a flavoring, such as vanilla. The Ridenour-Baker Grocery Company operated a successful grocery distribution and warehouse business, first in Lawrence, Kansas and later in Kansas City, Missouri.


Snuff Jar from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Snuff Jar from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1882-1884
This ceramic snuff jar was recovered from historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. Its lettering declares it to be from the C. W. Gail & Ax snuff makers of Baltimore, Maryland for display in a store. Gail and Ax were in tobacco business from around 1860 until 1891. The jar was made by the Avalon Fainece potters of Baltimore between 1882-1884. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Van Buskirk's Fragrant Sozodont Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Van Buskirk's Fragrant Sozodont Bottle from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
Van Buskirk's Sozodont was promoted to clean and preserve teeth; harden gums; and delightfully refresh breath. This bottle of Sozodont was recovered by archeologists from historic Fort Hays in 1966. Faint lettering can still be seen on the paper label on the neck. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Showing 1 - 18

Copyright © 2007-2024 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.