Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1850 (8)
1851 (8)
1852 (6)
1853 (10)

1800-1820 (3)
1830s (2)
1840s (15)
1854-1860 (7)
1861-1869 (14)
1870s (10)
1880s (8)
1890s (7)
1900s (4)
1910s (4)
1920s (1)
1930s (1)
1940s (1)
1950s (1)
1960s (1)
1970s (1)
1980s (1)
1990s (1)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

This is a portrait of Catherine (Kate) Elizabeth German, who was taken captive with her younger sisters, Sophia, Julia, and Adelaide, by Cheyenne Indians after their family was killed. Kate was born on March 21, 1857. On September 11, 1874, the John German family, consisting of his wife and seven children, was attacked by a band of Cheyenne east of Ft. Wallace, Kansas. Only four of the children, Catherine, Sophia, Julia, and Adelaide, were spared and taken captive. The two youngest, Julia and Adelaide (aged 7 and 5), were subsequently abandoned on the prairie in what is now the Texas panhandle. Sophia and Catherine were kept by their Cheyenne captors. Fort Wallace received word of the killings and began the search to find the girls and to negotiate their release. They found Julia and Adelaide, who had survived on their own for 6 weeks, and on March 1, 1875, the Cheyennes formally released Catherine and Sophia German at the Darlington Agency in Indian Territory (Oklahoma). The two girls were reunited with their younger sisters at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas in June of 1875.

-

Random Item

Roy Davis Seal, World War I soldier Roy Davis Seal, World War I soldier

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,240
Bookbag items: 35,895
Registered users: 10,895

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 44

Category Filters

Date - 1850s

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 44 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1853 - Sac and Fox Agency

1853 - Sac and Fox Agency
Creator: Green, Charles R.
Date: September 1, 1853
This item lists tribes under the Superintendency of Indians Affairs in St. Louis headed by B.A. James and Colonel Alfred Cummings. In particular, the item lists the Ottawas, Chippewas of Swan Creek, and the Black River Sacs and Foxes.


An act to legalize certain marriages therein named

An act to legalize certain marriages therein named
Creator: Washington, Chief James
Date: April 8, 1851
This item, approved by Wyandott Chief James Washington, provides a list of people married within the Wyandott territory in the spring of 1851.


Buckle from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Buckle from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
This cuprous (contains copper) buckle was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The centerbar buckle is decorated with a floral motif and would have been quite a fancy buckle when new and shiny.


Ceramic Pipe from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314

Ceramic Pipe from the Quindaro Site, 14WY314
Date: 1850-1859
This ceramic pipe was recovered during excavations at the Quindaro townsite in 1986. It was first associated with a feature at the site that was discovered to be a late 19th to early 20th century farmstead. However, as it was recovered deeply buried in a trench the Archaeologist determined that it dated from the 1850s. The pipe has a faint mark, perhaps a maker's mark, on either side of the stem. A small amount of charcoal-like residue is at the base of the pipe bowl's interior, though there are no other signs that it had been smoked.


Ceramic Vessel from Fort Zarah, 14BT301

Ceramic Vessel from Fort Zarah, 14BT301
Date: 1800-1869
The broken sherds of this vessel were recovered at the site of Fort Zarah in Barton County. They were reconstructed by the donor who used plaster (the darker material as shown here) to fill in for the missing pieces. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2014.


Coins from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372

Coins from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372
Date: 1853-1918
These coins were collected from the Plowboy site in Shawnee County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. The Plowboy site was home to the Kansa, the Potawatomi, and Euro-Americans. At various times, the site contained a farm, a trading post, and a post office with nearby military trails, Mormon routes, a railroad and the California-Oregon trail. On the top row is a shield nickel minted in 1873 and a wheat penny minted in 1916. On the bottom row are two half-dimes with a seated Liberty with stars and arrows, both minted in 1853, and a mercury dime minted in 1918.


Colt First Model Dragoon Revolver

Colt First Model Dragoon Revolver
Creator: Colt Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company
Date: between 1851 and 1852
Colt First Model Dragoon Revolver with engraved cylinder. Six shot, 44 caliber single action steel revolver with walnut grips. William F. Arny reportedly gave this Colt Navy revolver to John Brown in 1856 in recognition of his efforts for the Free State cause. According to Arny, Brown returned the revolver to him when he learned that Arny did not support his methods. Arny came to Kansas in 1857 and was involved in the Free State movement, serving as a delegate to the Grasshopper Falls Convention and as a member of the Leavenworth Constitutional Convention. He was also elected to the first State Legislature. Arny donated the revolver to the Kansas Historical Society in 1879. Alternatively, it is possible that the revolver was one of fifty purchased by John Brown supporters back East and sent to him in Kansas. Because he was keeping a low profile, Brown couldn't receive the shipment and the revolvers were distributed to Kansans who might be able to use them to support the cause. Brown later attempted to retrieve the weapons with little success. Arny may have received this revolver and kept it until the time of donation.


Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas

Constitution Hall, Lecompton, Kansas
Date: 1852
This photograph represents an illustration of the State-House, more commonly known as Constiution Hall, in Lecompton, Kansas from Henry Howe's "Historical Collections of the Great West". Lecompton Constitution Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Place in 1971, and as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.


Coxcomb and Currents quilt

Coxcomb and Currents quilt
Creator: Stark, Elizabeth E.
Date: 1853
Elaborately quilted red and green appliqué quilt in Coxcomb and Currents pattern (also known as Flowering Almond). Embroidered at center in pale blue with maker's name and date: "ELIZABETH STARK 1853." Stark was born in Ohio in 1833, married John Whitlow in 1857, and came to Kansas with her young family around 1868. Elizabeth spent the majority of her life in Topeka, living well into the 20th century. This quilt was passed down to her daughter, Lillian Whitlow Johnson.


Cup

Cup
Date: between 1800 and 1920
Hand-wrought communal iron drinking cup with attached chain. The cup was attached to a rock by the Sulphur Spring public spring near Fort Scott around 1800 and saw continuous use until communal drinking cups were banned by the Kansas State Board of Health in 1909. The cup was replaced by a sanitary drinking fountain on November 1, 1911. Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine, Director of the Board of Health, used the cup in his public health and sanitation campaigns, and it was later displayed at the Paper Cup and Container Institute in New York.


Deeds from the James Stanley Emery Collection

Deeds from the James Stanley Emery Collection
Date: 1856-1887
These deeds from the James Stanely Emery collection document a real estate purchase from James S. Emery for $500. Nathaniel S. Higgins of Fair Haven, Massachusetts is purchasing half of an undivided lot (Number 30) and the stone or concrete building currently occupied by Emery on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence. If Emery is able to acquire share number 97 of the town of Lawrence from the government, however, the sale will not take effect. James Stanley Emery was born in Franklin County, Maine in 1826. Educated at Waterville College, he was admitted to the bar in New York in 1854. He was involved with the New England Emigrant Aid Company, coming to Kansas with the second party of immigrants, and generally in free state activities in Kansas to ensure that it became an anti-slavery state when it entered the Union. Through the following years, he worked in numerous states for the cause. Emery was a member of the Leavenworth constitutional convention and served on the Kansas Legislature in 1862 and 1863. He was a lawyer and worked as a journalist for the New York Daily Times. President Abraham Lincoln appointed Emery U.S. District Attorney for Kansas in 1864. In 1891 he was president of the Kansas State Historical Society. Emery died in Lawrence in 1899.


Eagle Wreath Military Button from Fort Scott, 14BO302

Eagle Wreath Military Button from Fort Scott, 14BO302
Date: 1842-1853
This brass military button was recovered from the Fort Scott National Historic Site during excavations conducted there between 1968 through 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The brass two piece button has a wire loop shank. The button front depicts an eagle holding an olive branch and arrows above with a wreath below and a large "U. S." in the middle. The button back has the wording "United States." The button is ligne 30 in size and likely represents a coat or jacket button. When Fort Scott was built it was on the western military frontier, but is now located within the city limits of Fort Scott.


English Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

English Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1852
Shown are five gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These five gunflints were all quarried and manufactured in southern England. Left to right they show a square gunflint with two dorsal arrises and cortex; a square gunflint with two dorsal arrises; a square gunflint with one dorsal arris; and two small square gunflints both with two dorsal arrises, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights.


Engraving of and information about  Lucy Stone

Engraving of and information about Lucy Stone
Creator: Illustrated News
Date: 1853
An engraving of Lucy Stone, one of the more noted and radical feminists, shown wearing bloomers. The engraving, which appears in the Illustrated News, May 28, 1853, was taken from a daguerreotype made by Mathew Brady. She journeyed to Kansas with her husband, Henry B. Blackwell, in April, 1867, to help launch the impartial-suffrage campaign.


French Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

French Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1852
Shown are six gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These six gunflints were all quarried and manufactured in France, as is indicated by their honey-yellow or blonde color. Left to right they show two square gunflint with two dorsal arrises, two somewhat "D" shaped gunflints, and two small square gunflints, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights.


George Washington Martin

George Washington Martin
Date: Between 1850 and 1860
This photograph, a copy from a daguerreotype, shows George Washington Martin, 1841-1914. In 1857 Martin migrated to the Kansas Territory from Pennsylvania settling in Lecompton, Kansas where he worked with the pro-slavery paper the Lecompton Union, later becoming the National Democrat. Martin later established himself as a newspaper editor and publisher founding the Junction City Union. Actively involved in the community, Martin held several public offices from mayor of Junction City to serving in the Kansas House of Representatives. In 1888 he moved to Kansas City, Kansas, establishing the Daily Gazette newspaper. Martin was the managing editor of the newspaper until 1899 when he is elected secretary of the Kansas Historical Society (KSHS). Martin held this position for fifteen years and was appointed secretary emeritus of KSHS in February 1914. He passed away on March 27, 1914 in Topeka, Kansas.


Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1852
Shown are six gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These six gunflints were made from local cherts. Left to right they show three square gunflint each with a single dorsal arris, a square gunflints with two dorsal arrises, and two small square gunflints, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights.


Hand Sewn Doll

Hand Sewn Doll
Date: 1852-1900
This doll, donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1920, has a muslin body, real hair braided into two braids, beads for eyes, and a face sculpted by stitching. The doll's dress is made of blue strouding, a course cloth often used in trade, and her leggings are of red wool. The belt and mocassins are of leather. All of the doll's clothing is decorated with various colored "seed" beads. The doll has a necklace, two bracelets, and one earring made of the seed beads. One earring is now missing.


Henry B. Douglass

Henry B. Douglass
Date: 1852
This a photograph showing Henry B. Douglass who was born March 9, 1827 at West Point, where his father David Bates Douglass was Professor of Engineering. Henry Douglass graduated from West Point in 1852, and was promoted to Bvt. Second Lt. and assigned to the 7th Infantry. He was stationed at Fort Dodge, Kansas.


Horse, Mule, and Oxen Shoes from Fort Atkinson, 14FD305

Horse, Mule, and Oxen Shoes from Fort Atkinson, 14FD305
Date: 1850-1854
Several different styles of shoes were recovered from Fort Atkinson in Ford County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2015. Shown here are two smaller mule shoes ("U"-shaped), a veterinary shoe (nearly a complete circle), two horse shoes (for different sized horses), and an ox shoe. Fort Atkinson, occupied for only four years, was located along the Santa Fe Trail.


Ironstone Plate from Quindaro, 14WY314

Ironstone Plate from Quindaro, 14WY314
Date: 1834-1859
This portion of an ironstone plate was recovered from the Quindaro town site and reconstructed by archeologists. The oriental flowblue pattern dish was manufactured by Podmore, Walker and Co of Tunstall, England.


J. B. Remington

J. B. Remington
Date: 1850
Cased sixth plate ambrotype portrait of J. B. Remington.


John Armstrong reminiscence

John Armstrong reminiscence
Creator: Armstrong, John, b. 1824
Date: Between 1858 and 1900
This is a reminiscence by abolitionist John Armstrong, detailing his time in Kansas and his involvement with the Bleeding Kansas movement. It is reported that Armstrong was greatly involved in the Underground Railroad in Kansas.


Kickapoo Corral, Arkansas River, Cowley County, Kansas

Kickapoo Corral, Arkansas River, Cowley County, Kansas
Date: Bulk 1847-1905
This photograph represents the Kickapoo Corral at the Arkansas River in Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas. The photo was taken by H.E. Shilliman (1847-1909) in Winfield, Kansas. In the bottom right corner in pencil the number 102 is written.


Little Stranger Christian Church records

Little Stranger Christian Church records
Date: 1853 - 2005
This is a collection of records spanning the years of the Little Stranger Christian Church (1853-1914) and the Little Stranger Christian Church Society (1969-2005).


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.