Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1600-1699 (2)
1700-1799 (1)
1800-1819 (11)
1830s (1)
1840s (8)
1850s (9)
1854-1860 (139)
1861-1869 (226)
1870s (424)
1880s (808)
1890s (1289)
1900s (1918)
1910s (1670)
1920s (1257)
1930s (1587)
1940s (894)
1950s (1340)
1960s (999)
1970s (337)
1980s (338)
1990s (165)
2000s (78)
2010s (29)

Geology (14)
Landscape (81)
Natural resources (119)
Plants (41)
Sky (2)
Space (3)
Water (211)
Weather (122)
Wildlife (25)

Equipment (43)
Facilities (374)
Service (236)
Veterans (44)
Wars (275)
Weapons (23)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Margaret Schnoebelen interview, Kinsley, Kansas Margaret Schnoebelen interview, Kinsley, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 730,458
Bookbag items: 37,645
Registered users: 11,520

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 10006

Category Filters

Built Environment

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 10006 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


1000 S. Esplanade, Leavenworth, Kansas

1000 S. Esplanade, Leavenworth, Kansas
Date: 2002
This is a view of a large two story house located at 1000 South Esplanade in Leavenworth, Kansas.


1005 North 4th Street, Garden City, Kansas

1005 North 4th Street, Garden City, Kansas
Date: 1996
This photograph shows bungalow home located at 1005 North 4th Street in the Historic District of Garden City, Kansas. There is an automobile parked beside the left side of the house.


100 block of Southwest Sixth Avenue, Topeka, Kansas

100 block of Southwest Sixth Avenue, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1895 and 1900
This photograph shows the buildings on the north side of the 100 block of Southwest Sixth Avenue in Topeka, Kansas. The Knox building (later renamed the Columbian building), located at 112-114 Southwest Sixth Avenue, is visible in the center of the photograph. The architecture is Richardsonian Romanesque/Romanesque Revival and it was designed by Seymour Davis for Wm. Knox's bank, which failed in the 1890s. Offices of prominent businessmen, attorneys, political organizations including the Anti-Saloon League were housed in the building. The Columbian building is on National Register of Historic Places.


100 ton covered centerflow hopper car

100 ton covered centerflow hopper car
Date: July, 1963
Side view of an Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's 100 ton covered centerflow hopper car (ATSF #302042).


100 ton covered hopper car

100 ton covered hopper car
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: August, 1962
Side view of an Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's 100 ton hopper car (ATSF #301338) as delivered in grey paint. The car was a 2,900 cubic foot covered hopper.


100 ton covered hopper car

100 ton covered hopper car
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: August, 1962
A three-quarter view of an Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's 100 ton hopper car (ATSF #301355) as delivered in grey paint. The car was a 2,900 cubic foot covered hopper.


14MP1, Paint Creek Site Effigy or Chipped Stone Tool?

14MP1, Paint Creek Site Effigy or Chipped Stone Tool?
Date: 1500-1800 CE
This artifact was found at the Paint Creek village in McPherson County. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. Archeologists sometimes ponder how to classify an artifact: is this an effigy or a chipped stone tool? The Paint Creek site is what archeologists call part of the Little River Focus of the Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita), whose people practiced fishing, hunting, gathering, and agriculture.


15 Mine in Crawford, Kansas

15 Mine in Crawford, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1940
Two photographs of 15 Mine, in either Cherokee County or Crawford County, Kansas. The mine could have also been called Camp 15. Two men stand in front of the mining out buildings.


1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

1844 Quarter from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1844
This quarter was minted in 1844 in New Orleans. It was recovered from the site of the 2016 Kansas Archeology Training Program, the Last Chance Store in Council Grove. It shows a seated Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas

1867 flood, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: June 08, 1867
This photograph represents buildings that survived the flooding on June 8, 1867 in Fort Hays, Kansas. At the time of the flood, the buildings standing in the photograph had been built approximately five months prior. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1876
The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT." The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.


18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas

18th Infantry Band, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1886
This is a view of the members of the 18th Infantry Band at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


1951 flood, Neosho County, Kansas

1951 flood, Neosho County, Kansas
Date: July 6, 1951
These are two aerial views of Neosho County, Kansas, that were taken by and published in the Chanute Tribune newspaper. The two photographs show a flooded oil storage facility and farmstead.


1967 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1967 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1967
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1967. The excavations took place in the area of the Commanding Officer's Quarters and a fort dump. Shown is an excavated foundation, artifacts at the bottom of one of the fort's dumps, and a view of the excavations in progress. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1968 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1968 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1968
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1968. The excavations took place in the area of the officer's quarters (Officer's Row). Shown are two views of the House 4 cellar excavation, the archeological excavations of the foundations for Houses 2 through 6 in progress, and a toy dish discovered in the House 5 excavations. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1969 Excavation at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1969 Excavation at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1969
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1969. The excavations took place in the area of the fort hospital. Shown are the southeast support of the east hospital wing, the east center support of the west hospital annex, the east drain into the hospital cistern, and a bayonet discovered during excavation. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1970 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1970 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1970
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1969. Shown is a view of the completed excavation of the fort's coal shed foundation, a view of the main living area of the surgeon's quarters, and a young man drawing profiles of features 834 and 822 at the site. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


1993 Kansas State Senate

1993 Kansas State Senate
Date: 1993
This is a photograph showing members of the 1993 Kansas State Senate. Members in the photograph are: front row: (left to right) Dave Kerr, Audrey Langworthy, Carolyn Tillotson, Marian Reynolds, Pat Ranson, Tim Emert, Barbara Lawrence, Janice Hardenburger, Christine Downey, Janis Lee, Anthony Hensley; second row: Don Sallee, Don Steffes, Mike Harris, Sandy Praeger, Gus Bogina, Lillian Papay, Al Ramirez, Bill Brady, U. L. "Rip" Gooch, Doug Walker, Phil Martin; third row: Mark Parkinson, Robert Vancrum, Lana Oleen, Steve Morris, Todd Tiahrt, Alicia Salisbury, Dick Bond, David Corbin, Marge Petty, Paul Feleciano, Bill Wisdom, Sherman Jones; top row: Assistant Majority Leader Ben Vidricksend, Vice President of the Senate Jerry Moran, Majority Leader Shiela Frahm, Senate President Paul "Bud" Burke, Minority Leader Jerry Karr; Assistant Minority Leader Richard "Dick" Rock.


200 Block of East Fourth Street, Topeka, Kansas

200 Block of East Fourth Street, Topeka, Kansas
Date: May 02, 1962
These two images show a two-story house between Quincy and Monroe Streets, in the 200 block of East 4th Street, in Topeka, Kansas. This area of Topeka was part of the Urban Renewal program in the 1960s to rehabilitate aging and decaying inner cities either by massive demolition, slum clearance or development.


200 Block of East Fourth Street, Topeka, Kansas

200 Block of East Fourth Street, Topeka, Kansas
Date: May 02, 1962
This black and white photograph shows a view of a two-story house and dilapidated shed between Quincy and Monroe Streets in the 200 block of East 4th Street in Topeka, Kansas. This area of the town was part of the Urban Renewal program in the 1960s to rehabilitate aging and decaying inner cities by massive demolition, slum clearance or development.


20th Kansas Regiment's band members at cemetery

20th Kansas Regiment's band members at cemetery
Date: March 29, 1899
View of three wounded members of the 20th Kansas Regiment's band at the grave of a fellow bandsman who had been killed at Bielew, Philippines, during the Spanish-American War.


2nd Regiment Bugle Corps, Topeka, Kansas

2nd Regiment Bugle Corps, Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This is a view of the two adult leaders and the eighteen boy members of the 2nd Regiment Bugle Corps standing in formation on the steps of the Kansas State Capitol building in Topeka, Kansas.


300 block of Madison Street, Topeka, Kansas

300 block of Madison Street, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: King, Orin C.
Date: November 09, 1961
This black and white photograph shows a view of a two-story house and dilapidated shed in the 300 block of Madison Street, Topeka, Kansas. This area of Topeka was part of the Urban Renewal program in the 1960s to rehabilitate aging and decaying inner cities either by massive demolition, slum clearance or development.


314 Sanitary Train band at Camp Funston

314 Sanitary Train band at Camp Funston
Date: Between 1917 and 1919
This is a postcard showing the 314 Sanitary Train band at Camp Funston. The photograph was possibly taken during World War I.


319 Broadway, Leavenworth, Kansas

319 Broadway, Leavenworth, Kansas
Date: 2002
This large two story house is located at 319 Broadway in Leavenworth, Kansas.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.