Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company yards, Clovis, New Mexico Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company yards, Clovis, New Mexico

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,308
Bookbag items: 35,864
Registered users: 10,930

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 10

Category Filters

Collections - Manuscript - Kansas Town and Land Company

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


East Abilene Town Company records

East Abilene Town Company records
Date: 1887-1900
The East Abilene Town Company was organized and incorporated in 1887 with L. A. Bigger of Hutchinson, Kansas as its president. M. A. Low was principal stockholder. The company originally purchased 445 acres of land which was platted into the first addition of the Kansas Town and Land Company to Abilene, Kansas. Mr. Bigger was also President of the Reno Town Company in which the Kansas Town and Land Company owned controlling interest. Materials include the company charter and bylaws, director's minutes, general correspondence, leases and land contracts, treasurer's statements and expense accounts, tax lists and certificates, legal documents, and ledger books.


Fred Iles correspondence

Fred Iles correspondence
Date: 1906-1930
Fred Iles was assistant right of way and tax agent for the Kansas Town and Land Company which bought and sold lands on the right of way of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company. In 1917, he assumed Ernest Warren Cline's position as right of way agent, responsible for representing the railroad's interest in all matters concerning the acquisition and disposition of land on the right of way. This correspondence includes Iles' activities and expenses accounts at the behest of E. W. Cline and the CRI&P Railway.


Golden Belt Town Company records

Golden Belt Town Company records
Date: 1886-1897
The Golden Belt Town Company was incorporated in 1886. It was chartered to buy and sell land on the right of way of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway in south-central Kansas, including the communities of Waldeck, Durham, Tampa, Ramona, Lincolnville, Furley, and Peck. The company also owned an undivided one-half interest in the Lost Springs, Aulne, Elbing, Whitewater, and Gladys townsites. Mr. F. H. Kollock of Peabody, Kansas, was named president and served until his death in 1895, at which time Samuel T. Howe assumed the position. G. H. Blackwelder of Wichita was secretary, G. W. Hurd of Abilene was treasurer, and A. Clark of Peabody was general agent. These company records include director's minutes, correspondence, financial statements, land contracts and deeds, and several books containing applications for lots and price lists.


Insurance policy for hotel in Lincolnville, Kansas

Insurance policy for hotel in Lincolnville, Kansas
Creator: Phoenix Insurance Company
Date: November 23, 1887
A two-thousand dollar insurance policy backed by the Phoenix Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut issued to the Golden Belt Town Company. The policy covered a two-story, chingled-roof hotel located in the town of Lincolnville in Marion County, Kansas. The Golden Belt Town Company was chartered by the Kansas Town and Land Company to buy and sell land on the right of way of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway in south central Kansas.


J. F. Doty correspondence

J. F. Doty correspondence
Date: 1888-1890
J. F. Doty served the Chicago, Kansas and Nebraska Railway Company (part of the Rock Island system) under a variety of titles, including full agent, adjusting agent, and right of way agent. Doty was E. W. Cline's predecessor as representative of the railroads land and townsite interests in Kansas. This correspondence contains letters received by Doty and reflects his duties as right of way agent. The bulk of the material concerns his dealing with CK&N and KT&L Company land agents and the sale, rental, or lease of land and town lots along the CK&N right of way. A letterpress volume containing copies of letters sent by Doty is available on micofilm (box MS1033) at the Kansas Historical Society.


Kansas Town and Land Company U. S. land patents

Kansas Town and Land Company U. S. land patents
Creator: United States. General Land Office
Date: 1874-1896
Land patents issued by the United States General Land Office to Albert O. Baldwin, William O. Alphin, Nora B. Asher, Samuel Bayne, James R. Blades, William H. Blood, John W. Brownlee, Robert L. Butts, Martha A. Davidson, Erving M. Davis, Chesley W. Jones, A. B. Montgomery, Seymour S. Rogers, Ada E. Scates, Isaac D. Smith, James Smith, Herbert H. Springer, George H. Storch, John Sheppard, and Alfred O. Yeatman. Also included is a declaration from the federal government, referencing the June 28, 1862 treaty that established the Kickapoo Indian Reservation, which grants O-Ketch-Kum-Me a designated forty acres.


Kansas Town and Land Company agent's statements

Kansas Town and Land Company agent's statements
Date: 1888-1891
Lots lists and correspondence, arranged by townsite, relating to the business activities and sales of each townsite agent of the Kansas Town and Land Company. The Kansas Town and Land Company was chartered in 1887 to buy and sell lands on the right of way of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company. Townsites in Kansas include Agra, Aiken, Arkalom, Athol, Bonham, Brewster, Clayton, Dana, Dresden, Edson, Goodland, Groveland, Herington, Horton, Jasper, Jennings, Kanorado, Keats, Kensington, Liberal, Mahaska, Minneola, Narka, Neva, New Lebanon, Phillipsburg, Prairie View, Rexford, Selden, Severn, Smith Center, and Stuttgart. Townsites in Colorado include Arriba, Claremont, Limon, New Burlington, Peyton, and Siebert. Townsites in Nebraska include Murdock and Nora. Agents include G. A. Spaulding, F. O. Marshall, T. A. Scales, J. W. Weyand, G. B. Ohle, L. L. French, R. M. Day, Albert Harris, A. B. Montgomery, F. H. McClellan, Monroe Davis Herington, W. H. Kemper, George W. Ragon, R. M. Day, Hazen C. Ladd, E. W. Sandison, John S. Gillett, Edward Stone, E. W. Hall, W. J. Clark, P. C. Glenn, Ira Thompson, S. G. Hopkins, G. W. Buckley, Daniel W. Relihan, William A. Clute, R. S. Newell, C. A. Beery, J. H. Slater, C. G. McGhee, H. F. Hendricks, and Jacob Ritterbush.


South Arkansas Valley Town Company records

South Arkansas Valley Town Company records
Date: 1887-1917
The South Arkansas Valley Town Company was organized and incorporated in 1887 to do business from Dodge City, Kansas. It was chartered to buy and sell land in the Bloom and Kingsdown townsites of Ford County on the right of way of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway. W. C. Shinn, President of the Directors, purchased 382 shares of company stock in the name of C. F. Jilson (trustee for the CRI&P). The company was disbanded and the final dividend paid in 1906. These records include correspondence, land contracts, financial statements, town lot price lists, and assorted ledgers.


Tampa, Kansas

Tampa, Kansas
Date: Between 1887 and 1895
Map of the town of Tampa in Marion County, Kansas. The railroad, previously operated by the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway, is visible on the map.


Union Stock Yards Company records

Union Stock Yards Company records
Date: 1885-1915
Located in North Topeka, Kansas, the Union Stock Yards Company was organized and incorporated in 1885 with the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company owning 131 or 310 shares of stock. The company operated until 1898, at which time C. F. Jilson (trustee for the CRI&P) acquired the deed. The CRI&P operated the business at a loss from 1898 to 1900, when it failed. In 1904, the CRI&P bought the remaining stock holders interest and transferred the land to the Kansas Town and Land Company. These records include the company charter, land contracts, livestock reports, correspondence, financial statements, and meeting minutes.


Showing 1 - 10

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.