Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Johnson L. Maffitt, Iola, Kansas Johnson L. Maffitt, Iola, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 626,655
Bookbag items: 37,099
Registered users: 11,219

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 22

Category Filters

Places - Historic sites - Iowa and Sac & Fox Mission

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 22 of 22 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


3/4 Grooved Axes From Doniphan County

3/4 Grooved Axes From Doniphan County
Date: 7000 BCE-1 CE
These four 3/4 grooved axes were collected from the White Cloud, Kansas area by antiquarian Mark E. Zimmerman (1866-1933), who donated them to the Highland Mission (now called the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission). Traces of the collector's marks (yellow paint) and labeling are faintly visible on some of the axes. While 3/4 grooved axes are frequently recovered from late Archaic sites, they are also found from other time periods. Axes like these are made by pecking a hard stone into a rough shape and then grinding and polishing it into its final state. They get their name from the hafting groove the encircles 3/4 of the axe's body. It is unknown if these four axes were found near each other, but they all are quite similar in size, ranging from 12.8cm - 11.2cm in length, 7.7cm - 6.6cm in width, and 4.5cm - 3.6cm thick.


Beaded Moccasins

Beaded Moccasins
Date: Unknown
These moccasins were originally on display at the Highland Museum (later the Iowa and Sac and Fox Historic Site) in Doniphan County. The rounded toe moccasins have fur lined flaps and hard leather soles. Black cotton bands, stuffed with a red, white and blue printed cotton, trims the sides. The uppers and sides are decorated with a linear motif in red, white and blue beads.


Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bisque Doll Leg from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown is a bisque doll leg from the toes up to the knee. It was found during excavations at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Bottles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
Shown are two small bottles that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Both bottles likely once held medicine or pharmaceuticals.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1886
Shown are three of many buttons that were recovered from excavation at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, in Doniphan County. The Mission was built as a boarding school for Iowa and Sac and Fox children and later changed its purpose to an Orphan Indian Institute. Shown are a four hole sew through wooden or bone button with a fifth hole partially drilled in the center. The small shell button is also a four hole sew through, and likely was used for a child's or infant's clothing. The final button shown is a four hole dish china button with a brown asterisk calico pattern.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These five buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are three four-hole sew through buttons, one each of wood, china, and shell. Also shown is a brown china two-hole sew through button and a shell and brass loop or shank style button.


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.


Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1854-1864
Shown are two coins that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The 1854 half dime shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the year on the obverse side. The arrows indicate that that the coin weight had been reduced. The reverse of the half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The 2¢ coin's obverse side shows a shield with "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the banner and the mint date of 1864. The reverse side is too corroded to discern what was present.


Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These six dish sherds were recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The sherds represent six different plates or cups and are either decorated by hand painting or by transfer printing. They depict floral and landscape motifs. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1831-1905
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The medicine was advertised as being for "sprains, bruises, etc." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the products after Jayne's death. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dr. D. Jayne Liniment or Counterirritant Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1831-1905
This aqua patent medicine bottle was recovered from excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The medicine was advertised as being for "sprains, bruises, etc." David Jayne, 1798/99-1866, offered various cures from 1831 onward. The medicinal line continued to make the products after Jayne's death. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle

Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle
Date: 1874-1883
This complete extract bottle was recovered from the excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Dr. Vincent Clarence Price (1832-1914, grandfathered of the actor Vincent Price) manufactured and distributed baking powder, flavorings, and other foods. Price joined in partnership with Charles R. Steele from 1874 to 1883 to make the "most perfect made in Vanilla, Lemon, Orange, Etc" flavorings "prepared from true fruits."


Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle

Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle
Date: 1874-1883
This complete extract bottle was recovered from the excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. Dr. Vincent Clarence Price (1832-1914, grandfather of the actor Vincent Price) manufactured and distributed baking powder, flavorings, and other foods. Price joined in partnership with Charles R. Steele from 1874 to 1883 to make the "most perfect made in Vanilla, Lemon, Orange, Etc" flavorings "prepared from true fruits." The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: 1938
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1938 and 1945
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Key from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Key from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
This key was recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. he key consists of a bow (the portion which is gripped and turned) and a blade (which slides into a keyway, also called a key hole). The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Marbles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Marbles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These three marbles were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Two marbles are made of unglazed German hand-painted porcelain. One has black lines quartering it, and the other has a blue floral motif. The other is a ceramic marble that has Bennington style decoration. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Tiny Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Tiny Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
A small bottle, such as this one, may have once held medicine or perfume. It was recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Transferware Dish Sherd from the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Transferware Dish Sherd from the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
This brown transferware dish sherd is printed on both sides with a landscape scene. It was recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The transferware printing method is shown on these two refit dinner plate sherds. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Wakefield's Egyptian Liniment Bottle

Wakefield's Egyptian Liniment Bottle
Date: 1846-1905
This bottle was recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The aqua bottle has the lettering "WAKEFIELD'S EGYPTIAN LINIMENT," a liniment manufactured by Dr. C. Wakefield of Bloomington, Illinois. According to Wakefield's Guide the liniment was used "as a Pain Killer, for Rheumatism, Cramp, Numbness of Flesh, Cold Skin, Stiff Joints, Earache, Backache, Contracted Leaders, etc.?" The liniment was also useful for curing "Swelling, Sprains, Spavin, Sweeny, etc.?" in horses. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Wakefield's Egyptian Liniment Bottle from the Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Wakefield's Egyptian Liniment Bottle from the Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1846-1905
This bottle was recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The aqua bottle has the lettering "WAKEFIELD'S EGYPTIAN LINIMENT," a liniment manufactured by Dr. C. Wakefield of Bloomington, Illinois. According to Wakefield's Guide the liniment was used "as a Pain Killer, for Rheumatism, Cramp, Numbness of Flesh, Cold Skin, Stiff Joints, Earache, Backache, Contracted Leaders, etc.?" The liniment was also useful for curing "Swelling, Sprains, Spavin, Sweeny, etc.?" in horses.


Showing 1 - 22

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.