Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Kenneth Dupree interview, WWII oral history, Kinsley, Kansas Kenneth Dupree interview, WWII oral history, Kinsley, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,320
Bookbag items: 35,871
Registered users: 10,935

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 8

Category Filters

Community Life - Religion - Missionaries - Kaw Mission

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Interior views of the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Interior views of the Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1950 and 1980
Three views of the interior of Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: 1925
A photograph of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. In 1846, a treaty with the Kaw (or Kansa) gave them a diminished reservation that included the site of present-day Council Grove. The treaty of 1846 had provided that the government would make an annual payment of $1,000 to advance the education of the Kaws in their own country. In 1850 the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which had ministered to the tribe since 1830, entered into a contract with the government, and construction of the mission and school building was completed by February 1851. School began in May under the direction of Thomas Sears Huffaker. Approximately 30 Kaw boys, aged 6 to 17 years, moved into the mission to live upstairs in four dormitory rooms. It was the goal of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to teach the boys academic subjects, farming, and Christianity at the Kaw Mission. Classes for Indian children were held until 1854, when the cost of maintaining the school was deemed too costly. The mission building and grounds were sold to Thomas Huffaker in 1865, and he continued in possession for 14 years. Thereafter, several individuals owned the property until 1926 when Carl I. Huffaker, one of Thomas' sons, bought the land on which the mission building stands. In 1951 the Kansas Legislature authorized the purchase of the mission property from Huffaker, and the Kansas Historical Society as trustee for the state. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


View of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

View of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1950
A view of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of displays at Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas

Views of displays at Kaw Mission, Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1940 and 1980
Several photographs of displays at Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1963
Two photographs of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1890 and 1990
Several views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. In 1846, a treaty with the Kaw (or Kansa) gave them a diminished reservation that included the site of present-day Council Grove. The treaty of 1846 had provided that the government would make an annual payment of $1,000 to advance the education of the Kaws in their own country. In 1850 the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which had ministered to the tribe since 1830, entered into a contract with the government, and construction of the mission and school building was completed by February 1851. School began in May under the direction of Thomas Sears Huffaker. Approximately 30 Kaw boys, aged 6 to 17 years, moved into the mission to live upstairs in four dormitory rooms. It was the goal of the Methodist Episcopal Church South to teach the boys academic subjects, farming, and Christianity at the Kaw Mission. Classes for Indian children were held until 1854, when the cost of maintaining the school was deemed too costly. The mission building and grounds were sold to Thomas Huffaker in 1865, and he continued in possession for 14 years. Thereafter, several individuals owned the property until 1926 when Carl I. Huffaker, one of Thomas' sons, bought the land on which the mission building stands. In 1951 the Kansas Legislature authorized the purchase of the mission property from Huffaker, and the Kansas Historical Society as trustee for the state. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1930 and 1960
Several views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas

Views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
Three views of the Kaw Mission in Council Grove, Kansas. Kaw Mission was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and now operates as Kaw Mission State Historic Site.


Showing 1 - 8

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.