Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Henry Worrall family album Henry Worrall family album

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,314
Bookbag items: 35,868
Registered users: 10,931

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 1

Category Filters

Government and Politics - State Government - State agencies and programs - Agencies - Kansas Vocational School

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 of 1


Kansas Vocational School in Topeka, Kansas

Kansas Vocational School in Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Wehe, L. E.
Date: 1925
This panoramic photograph shows the Kansas Vocational School in Topeka, Kansas. Organized in 1895, the Industrial and Educational Institute of Topeka for African-American students only, prepared them to specifically engage in agricultural or mechanical pursuits and domestic activities. It was controlled by a board of seven trustees, four of whom were appointed by the Governor. The school has received annual appropriations from the State Legislature since 1899. In 1917, it was placed under the supervision of the State Board of Administration. The trustees, as provided for in their constitution to serve as the advisory board of the institution, continued to manage the affairs of the institution. their actions were subject to the supervision of the state Board of Administration of Kansas. On July 1, 1919, the Institute was put under the control and administration of the State Board of Administration. The Advisory Board was reduced to five members, appointed by the Governor for a term of two years. This Advisory board was abolished in 1925, and the name of the school was changed to the Kansas Vocational School of Topeka. The State Board of Administration was given full control of the school. In 1939 the school was placed under supervision of the State Board of Regents. In 1951 the name was changed to the Kansas Technical Institute at Topeka.


Showing 1 of 1

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.