Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Volume 17, 1926-1928

-

Random Item

Walker Winslow correspondence Walker Winslow correspondence

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 730,449
Bookbag items: 37,551
Registered users: 11,471

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 2

Category Filters

Places - Cities and towns - Runnymede

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, Runnymede, Kansas

St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, Runnymede, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1890
This photograph shows St. Patrick's Episcopal Church in Runnymede, Kansas. It was a small wood-frame structure with minimal Gothic Revival detailing. The cornerstone was laid on November 28, 1889 and the church was dedicated in May 1890. The town of Runnymede was originally established to teach sons of British gentlemen the ways of successful farming in the West. Finding this agricultural experiment a waste of time, the men spent their days racing horses and throwing parties instead of working. Eventually, many of the immigrants returned to England. With their departure and the inability to attract a rail line, the town faded. St. Patrick's Church was eventually moved to Harper, Kansas and renamed St. James Episcopal Church.


Tennis club in Runnymede, Kansas

Tennis club in Runnymede, Kansas
Date: August, 1891
A photograph of the tennis club in Runnymede, Harper County, Kansas. In the late 1880s, F. J. S. Turnly established an English colony and training school for the sons of British gentlemen to learn the secrets of successful farming. Unfortunately, most of the young men were wealthy and their interest in farming waned. Instead they raced horses, partied, and played tennis. The colony disbanded in 1892 when the families in England decided their sons were learning very little about agriculture.


Showing 1 - 2

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.