Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Richardson photograph collection Richardson photograph collection

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 606,899
Bookbag items: 36,445
Registered users: 11,116

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 14

Category Filters

Education - Higher education - Institutions - Pittsburg State University

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 14 of 14 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Campus scene, Pittsburg State University, Kansas

Campus scene, Pittsburg State University, Kansas
Creator: Kansas Industrial Development Commission
Date: 1966
A campus scene at Pittsburg State University. When the photograph was taken, the school was known as the Kansas State College of Pittsburg.


Carney Hall, Pittsburg State University in Kansas

Carney Hall, Pittsburg State University in Kansas
Date: 1920
A postcard showing Carney Hall on the campus of Pittsburg State University. At the time the postcard was produced, the school was known as the Manual Training Normal School. Carney Hall was opened in 1919 and was later demolished in the late 1970's.


Central School in Pittsburg, Kansas

Central School in Pittsburg, Kansas
Creator: Pittsburg State University. Graphic Arts Club
Date: 1975
A photograph postcard of Central School, located at 5th and Pine in Pittsburg, Kansas. The building was dedicated January 30, 1884. It was designed by George Munn and the contractor was Mr. Goodlander from Ft. Scott. The first floor was the superintendent's office and rooms for first to third grades. The second floor was for the high school. The third floor was the gymnasium with a state at one end for concerts. It was used as a school until 1903 when the new school was built. Then was used by the State Manual Training School from 1904 to 1925. After the SMTNS moved out, Central School once again became a city school and was remodeled in 1925, almost doubling its size. The building was used until about 1953 when Central School and Forest Park School were closed and the students were consolidated into the new Westside School on West Fifth between Miles and Olive. The city used the vacant Central School building to house its offices while the City Hall at 4th and Pine was torn down and a new one was built in the late 1950's. Not long after the city moved out, the school building was torn down. Today the site is occupied by the Bottenfield Building.


Exterior views of Russ Hall at Pittsburg State University

Exterior views of Russ Hall at Pittsburg State University
Date: 1907-1966
Four views of Russ Hall, located on the campus of Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas. The first photograph is of Russ Hall's construction in 1907.


Leonard Axe and Clyde Reed

Leonard Axe and Clyde Reed
Creator: Pittsburg State University
Date: 1962
Two photographs featuring Leonard Axe, president of Pittsburg State University and Clyde Reed. In the first photograph, Axe is sitting on the far left with Reed standing and in the second photograph, Reed is sitting on the far left with Axe standing. The other two men are not identified.


Pittsburg, Crawford County, Kansas

Pittsburg, Crawford County, Kansas
Date: Between 1960 and 1970
A map of Pittsburg, Kansas, noting unpaved streets, program areas, and rent subsidized housing. It also shows the area for the Pittsburg State Teachers College and the Pittsburg Municipal Airport.


Pittsburg State College group in Topeka, Kansas

Pittsburg State College group in Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1925
A photograph of a Pittsburg State College group visiting the Memorial Building in Topeka, Kansas. Pittsburg State College is now known as Pittsburg State University, located in Pittsburg, Kansas.


Pittsburg State University, Kansas

Pittsburg State University, Kansas
Creator: Kansas. Dept. of Revenue
Date: 1963
A panoramic aerial photograph of Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas.


Pittsburg State University, Kansas

Pittsburg State University, Kansas
Date: 1959
An aerial photograph of Pittsburg State University. When the photograph was taken, the school was known as the Kansas State College of Pittsburg.


Rondelli Remembered:  Recital to Honor Her Brilliant Career in Opera and Her Outstanding Success as a Teacher of Classical Voice

Rondelli Remembered: Recital to Honor Her Brilliant Career in Opera and Her Outstanding Success as a Teacher of Classical Voice
Creator: University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
Date: June 02, 2012
Barbara Rondelli Perry was born October 19, 1939 in Chicopee, Kansas. She graduated from Chicopee Grade School (1944-1952), Cherokee High School (1952-1956), and Kansas State Teachers College in Pittsburg with a Bachelor of Music and Vocal Performance (1956-1960). After graduation, Barbara was a Fulbright Scholar and attended the Royal Academy of Music, London, where she studied with Dame Eva Turner, (1960-1962). Upon graduation, she received a Licentiate Diplomas from the Royal Academy of Music in Performance and Teaching of Singing. Barbara attended the Accademia Chigiana, Siena, Italy, where she studied in Art Song and Performance (1963). In 1963, she married Johan van der Merwe, an orchestral conductor from South Africa. Barbara sang professionally in Europe, America, and South Africa from 1964-1975. In 1978, she received a Master of Music from Kansas State College, Pittsburg, Kansas in Vocal Performance. From 1975-2011, she was Professor of Music and Voice in the Department of Music, University of Toledo and was named Professor Emerita. Her husband Johan van der Merew died in 1996 and she later married Richard Russell Perry, Professor of Higher Education, Emeritus, University of Toledo on June 11, 2000.


Russ Hall after a fire at Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas

Russ Hall after a fire at Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas
Creator: Pittsburg State University. Graphic Arts Club
Date: 1914
A 1914 photograph turned postcard showing fire damage to Russ Hall. At the time the photograph was taken, the college was known as the State Manual Training Normal. In 1923 the name changed to Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg. Produced in 1974, the postcard refers to the college as KSCP (Kansas State College of Pittsburg).


State Manual Training Normal School at Pittsburg ~ Request for Funds

State Manual Training Normal School at Pittsburg ~ Request for Funds
Creator: Kansas. Governor (1915-1919: Capper)
Date: 1915
This file of correspondence from the State Manual Training School in Pittsburg, Kansas, is asking Governor Capper for money to finance additional buildings for the campus. At the time of the correspondence, the school's student population had outgrown the size of the current campus and needed more buildings to support their needs. Today, the State Manual Training School is called Pittsburg State University. This file is part of a bigger collection of Governor Arthur Capper correspondence.


Tall case clock

Tall case clock
Creator: Kaho, John Frank
Date: between 1895 and 1905
Wooden tall case clock. Octagonal wooden-face wall clock with brass numbers and pedulum mounted at top. Open shelf at center of case and glass-front cabinet at bottom. Made by John Frank Kaho (1871?-1935) around 1900 while studying woodworking and drafting at Pittsburg State Teachers College. Kaho taught at Topeka High School from 1908 to 1935, where he developed the school's vocational training program.


Whitesitt Hall, Pittsburg State University, Kansas

Whitesitt Hall, Pittsburg State University, Kansas
Date: 1961
A photograph of Whitesitt Hall at Pittsburg State University. At the time the photograph was taken, the school was known as the Kansas State College of Pittsburg.


Showing 1 - 14

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.