Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Popular Item

Volume 17, 1926-1928

-

Random Item

Halstead Hospital staff  Dr. Dan Comwell Halstead Hospital staff Dr. Dan Comwell

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 730,449
Bookbag items: 37,631
Registered users: 11,518

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 24

Category Filters

Objects and Artifacts - Recreational Artifacts - Toy - Doll

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 24 of 24 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


African American doll

African American doll
Date: between 1937 and 1945
Handmade African American cotton cloth doll. The doll has short, black yarn hair, and her facial features are embroidered. She wears a simple light green cotton dress. The donor received the doll when she was a child from an African American neighbor. Her family lived in Topeka at the time of her birth in 1937. They left Topeka for California in 1946. She believes that she received the doll between the time of her birth and her fourth birthday.


Apache Doll in Cradleboard

Apache Doll in Cradleboard
Date: Between 1900 and 1968
This Apache doll in its cradleboard was donated first to the Highland Mission (now called the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission) and then to the Kansas Historical Society in 1968. The doll has a face drawn with ink and black yarn for hair. She is tucked into the cradleboard with a white velvet blanket. The cradleboard is covered in finely tanned leather and trimmed in sequins and beads of assorted colors and shapes.


Bisque Doll from 14GR301

Bisque Doll from 14GR301
Date: Unknown
This bisque doll head and body was recovered from the Curry site in Greenwood County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. The Curry site was a multicomponent (multiple occupations) site occupied periodically during the Archaic, Early Ceramic and Middle Ceramic Periods. However, this doll shows that there was also modern material recovered at the site. The doll had jointed arms and legs and may have once had a painted face and hair, though, if so, no trace remains.


Cracker-Jack clown

Cracker-Jack clown
Creator: Albert Schoenhut Company
Date: between 1905 and 1910
This Cracker-Jack clown has a jointed wooden body, molded head and hand-painted features. It was sold as an accessory set for the Humpty-Dumpty circus created by Albert Shoenhut.


Doll

Doll
Date: 1886
Bisque doll with blond hair wearing a tan dress and stockings, leather shoes, and two beaded necklaces. Marked "166 2" on back of shoulders. Belonged to Helena Olivia Lassen (1878-1969) of Atchison. Her father emmigrated from Denmark in 1865, and the doll was sent to her by relatives still in Denmark when she was eight years old. The clothes were sewn by a relative in Denmark, and the necklaces were added by Helena.


Doll Arm from 14OT323

Doll Arm from 14OT323
Date: 1880-1940
This bisque tie-on doll arm was recovered from the Ottawa County archeological site. The arm measures 2 1/4" long and, while difficult to ascertain, appears to represent a left arm and hand. The site probably marked the spot of a vanished farmstead. Archeologists from the Kansas Historical Society visited the site in 1993 during a Highway survey project.


Doll Fragments from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321

Doll Fragments from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321
Date: 1856-1920
There were some sad children at Constitution Hall in Lecompton when their porcelain dolls were broken. The lower face, leg, and two arms with hands were once part of at least two different dolls. The smallest arm was moveable and the leg had a tie-on attachment style. All of the pieces were recovered in the summer and fall of 1988 when Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation. Constitution Hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. The Hall was designated a National Historical Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution.


Doll Fragments from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372

Doll Fragments from the Plowboy Site, 14SH372
Date: 1850-1920
These four doll fragments were collected from the Plowboy site in Shawnee County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2017. Shown are a porcelain lower leg and foot with a ladies high heel shoe, a porcelain ear, and a porcelain leg and arm. The leg was reconstructed by the donor. The Plowboy site was home to the Kansa, the Potawatomi, and Euro-Americans. At various times, the site contained a farm, a trading post, and a post office with nearby military trails, Mormon routes, a railroad and the California-Oregon trail.


Doll Fragments from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102

Doll Fragments from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout Site, 14GH102
Date: 1877-1910
These five porcelain doll fragments were recovered from the Thomas Johnson/Henry Williams Dugout site during the 2006 excavations by Washburn University and the 2007 Kansas Archeology Training Program. The collections from Washburn University were later donated to the Kansas Historical Society. The fragments include a portion of black hair & eyebrows along with a portion of the doll's face, a fragment of a doll's left hand and three pink cheek fragments. This domestic site was related to the settlement of Nicodemus, Kansas, an all black community in western Kansas.


Doll Head from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Doll Head from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1867-1889
This china doll head was excavated in 1966 at Fort Hays in Ellis County. China doll heads are described by their hair style. This doll, with her center parted hair and comb marks on the side most resembles those of the 1850s and 1860s. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Doll in a Cradleboard

Doll in a Cradleboard
Date: Unknown
This doll in a cradleboard was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1980. The doll's face was drawn with colored pencils and has black yarn hair. It is wrapped in a dark blue wool blanket remnant, with a trade blanket type pattern. The cradleboard and U-shaped framing above the doll's head are also decorated in the dark blue wool with green, red, pink and blue small round "seed" beads. Above the doll's head hangs two brass bells and a small beaded figure that may be an owl.


French Yerri doll

French Yerri doll
Creator: Hansi
Date: 1918
A French Yerri doll purchased by a U.S. nurse during WWI. The doll is wearing a traditional Alsatian costume and a black fur hat. This Yerri doll was created in 1918 by French artist Hansi, to commemorate the recapture of Alsace at the end of WWI. The donor, Martha E. Keaton, purchased this particular doll while she was stationed in Langres, France as a nurse in 1918 during WWI. Keaton served at Base Hospital 53 in Langres until returning to Kansas in 1919.


Frozen Charlotte Doll from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332

Frozen Charlotte Doll from the Martindale Cabin, 14GR332
Date: 1857-1914
This nearly complete Frozen Charlotte doll was recovered from the Martindale Cabin in Greenwood County. Frozen Charlotte dolls, a type of china doll, were made from 1850 to the 1920s. The doll takes its name and form from an American folk ballad called "Fair Charlotte" and a poem by Seba Smith called "A Corpse Going to a Ball." In these tellings a young Miss Charlotte's vanity over her party dress causes her to refuse a cloak and this results in her freezing to death on the carriage ride to the party. This Frozen Charlotte doll measures 1 1/2" tall, has her black hair pulled back into a bun or in a snood, has black eyes and eyebrows and red cheeks and lips. The Martindale Cabin was built of stone for William Martindale in 1857 and was occupied by the Martindale family until 1869. Later the cabin was used for both living and storage purposes.


Hand Sewn Doll

Hand Sewn Doll
Date: Unknown
This hand sewn doll was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1963. Her body is made of cotton stuffed muslin, her facial features were embroidered with black cotton thread, and her hair is made of loosely woven black material. Her clothing is decorated with both seed beads (smaller) and pony beads (larger) of assorted colors. The doll's high topped cowhide boots still have the cow hair on the soles. The boots also have unusual upturned toes.


Hand Sewn Male Doll

Hand Sewn Male Doll
Date: Unknown
This male doll was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1920. The doll's hand sewn coat and hood are made of navy blue cloth and trimmed in red blanket material and red and white checked gingham. The rest of the doll's clothing is made of buckskin. The doll's bandolier, belt, knife sheath, and moccasins are decorated with assorted colored seed beads. The leggings are decorated with both fringe and seed beads. The doll's face is featureless.


Kansas Centennial doll

Kansas Centennial doll
Date: 1961
Kansas Centennial doll with eyes that open and close. She wears a green felt hat, a fringed tan leather tunic, brown felt pants, and leather moccasins. Dark brown leather lacing and a belt secure a white plastic knife and a bundle of sticks to her sides. The doll was made in 1961 to celebrate Kansas's Centennial.


Kansas Centennial doll

Kansas Centennial doll
Date: between 1960 and 1961
The Kansas Antique Doll Club designed this doll for the Kansas Centennial in 1961. The doll was meant to represent dolls carried by children traveling through Kansas at the time of early statehood. This soft-bodied doll has porcelain limbs and head and wears a striped brown silk dress with lace trim, white petticoat and bloomers. There is a molded sunflower necklace at the doll's throat. The Kansas Centennial inspired the manufacture of many souvenirs like this.


Little Orphan Annie shadowettes

Little Orphan Annie shadowettes
Date: between 1931 and 1942
Six paper Little Orphan Annie Shadowettes made between 1931 and 1942. Little Orphan Annie was a daily syndicated newspaper comic strip from 1924 to 1968. The strip followed the adventures of Annie, her dog Sandy, benefactor Daddy Warbucks and secondary characters. It was made into a radio show (1931-1942), two films (1932 &1938), and a Broadway show (1977).


Movin Groovin Crissy doll

Movin Groovin Crissy doll
Creator: Ideal Toy Corporation
Date: 1971
This plastic doll has "real" hair that can be "grown" from a short bob to long. Her arms, legs, waist, and head move. It was made by the Ideal Toy Corporation who developed the mechanism (a knob on the doll's back) to wind and unwind the doll's hair. This doll was owned by a Topeka, Kansas doll collector.


Paper Doll from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362

Paper Doll from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362
Date: 1839-1927
This paper doll was found in the southwest room of the East Building at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Johnson County. The paper doll appears to be dressed in a below the knee skirt, dress, or jacket with ankle-length pants or pantaloons showing beneath it. The Mission was built in 1839 for the Shawnee Tribe and closed in 1862. The life of the building did not end there. During the Civil War troops were quartered in the Mission, and later it saw use as a dance hall, dairy bottling plant, apartments, and a boarding house until becoming property of the state in 1927.


Ponca Doll in a Cradleboard

Ponca Doll in a Cradleboard
Date: Unknown
This Ponca doll was donated in 1882 to the Kansas Historical Society. It was hand sewn using muslin and was trimmed with small round "seed" beads. The doll's face, with real hair, is framed with braided red yarn.


Porcelain Doll from 14MY362

Porcelain Doll from 14MY362
Date: 1850-1900
This small porcelain doll was collected at an Early Ceramic period camp site with intrusions of historic material. The artifacts from the Montgomery County site were donated in 1975 to the Kansas Historical Society. The doll, missing her head, one foot, and most of her two arms is dressed in a dress, pantaloons, and a pinafore.


Porcelain Doll Parts from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Porcelain Doll Parts from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1857-1971
Two doll parts, among several, were recovered from the excavations at the Last Chance Store in Council Grove during the 2016 Kansas Archeological Training Program. Both pieces are made of porcelain, but they do not come from the same doll. The foot, possibly clad in a shoe or boot has a shiny glaze. The left hand, with a complete thumb, but broken fingers, is unglazed. The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Streethearts doll

Streethearts doll
Creator: Streethearts Inc.
Date: between 1991 and 1995
This plush doll made of synthetic materials was created by Streethearts, Inc. of Wichita, Kansas between 1991 and 1995. For each "homeless" doll they sold, the organization donated $5 to Salvation Army programs that aid homeless children. This doll was owned by a Topeka, Kansas doll collector.


Showing 1 - 24

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.