Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

B. Horne, archivist at the Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas B. Horne, archivist at the Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 737,230
Bookbag items: 41,314
Registered users: 12,465

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 8

Category Filters

Military - Facilities - Sutlers stores

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


1966 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301

1966 Excavations at Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1966
These photographs were taken by Kansas Historical Society archeological staff during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County in 1966. The excavations took place in the area of the sutler's store and house. Shown is the archeological excavations in progress, a group of square bricks, a trash pit, and an aerial view showing the excavations, golf course, historic trails, and modern roads. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


A. T. Chamblin to Hiero T. Wilson

A. T. Chamblin to Hiero T. Wilson
Creator: Chamblin, A. T.
Date: July 7, 1853
A. T. Chamblin writes Hiero T. Wilson, a Fort Scott sutler, to inquire where H. Company is and if a George G. Newman is still part of the company. Mr. Chamblin was at that point located in St. Paul, Minnesota. This letter was contained in the Hiero T. Wilson Post Sutler's Day Book. In 1844, Hiero T. Wilson partnered with John A. Bugg as the post sutlers. Bugg had been named sutler in 1843 but sold his 1/2 interest to Wilson in 1849. A complete transcription is available by clicking "Text Version" below.


Fort Larned buildings

Fort Larned buildings
Creator: Sohl, Stanley D, 1924-1998
Date: 1956
This photograph shows the historic Sutlers store.


Post sutler's day book, Fort Scott

Post sutler's day book, Fort Scott
Creator: Wilson, Hiero T.
Date: 1851-1852
This day book/ledger records the sales in the post general store. In 1844, Hiero T. Wilson partnered with John A. Bugg as the post sutlers. Bugg had been named sutler in 1843 but sold his 1/2 interest to Wilson in 1849. This volume records the name of the soldier making the purchase, the items purchased, and the cost. The store also made short term loans to soldiers to be repaid when they received pay. A number of the sales involve ale, wine, and liquor but fresh water was probably scarce at the fort. In addition to selling items to individuals, the store also sold goods to the military units stationed at the fort. The ledger entries provide a glimpse of the items that were available to soldiers stationed in the West.


Post sutler's day book, Fort Scott

Post sutler's day book, Fort Scott
Creator: Wilson, Hiero T.
Date: 1844-1845
This day book/ledger records the sales in the post general store. In 1844, Hiero T. Wilson partnered with John A. Bugg as the post sutlers. Bugg had been named sutler in 1843 but sold his 1/2 interest to Wilson in 1849. This volume records the name of the soldier making the purchase, the items purchased, and the cost. The store also made short term loans to soldiers to be repaid when they received pay. A number of the sales involve the sale of ale, wine, and liquor but fresh water was probably scarce at the fort. In addition to selling items to individuals, the store also sold goods to the military units stationed at the fort. The ledger entries provide a glimpse of the items that were available to soldiers stationed in the West.


Snuff Jar from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Snuff Jar from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1882-1884
This ceramic snuff jar was recovered from historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. Its lettering declares it to be from the C. W. Gail & Ax snuff makers of Baltimore, Maryland for display in a store. Gail and Ax were in tobacco business from around 1860 until 1891. The jar was made by the Avalon Fainece potters of Baltimore between 1882-1884. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Snuff Jar from Fort Hays, 14EL301

Snuff Jar from Fort Hays, 14EL301
Date: 1882-1884
This ceramic snuff jar was recovered from historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. Its lettering declares it to be from the C. W. Gail & Ax snuff makers of Baltimore, Maryland for display in a store. Gail and Ax were in tobacco business from around 1860 until 1891. The jar was made by the Avalon Fainece potters of Baltimore between 1882-1884. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.


Trader's store, Fort Hays, Kansas

Trader's store, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: 1868
This is a view of the Trader's Store at Fort Hays, Kansas. Hill P. Wilson, post trader, is shown standing in front of the store. Also visible are other men standing along the store front, a saddled horse, a horse-drawn carriage, and a horse-drawn wagon.


Showing 1 - 8

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.