Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Mount Marty yearbook, 1925, Rosedale, Kansas Mount Marty yearbook, 1925, Rosedale, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 602,371
Bookbag items: 36,268
Registered users: 11,025

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 28

Category Filters

Military - Facilities - Officers' quarters

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 28 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


Art Work on Eastern Kansas

Art Work on Eastern Kansas
Creator: Western Photogravure Company
Date: 1900
This pictorial book gives a brief overview of eastern Kansas. This is part nine of twelve. Views of Manhattan from Mount Prospect, the Jane C. Stormont Hospital and Christ's Hospital in Topeka, and Fort Scott National Cemetery are some of the featured photographs.


Bird's eye view of Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Bird's eye view of Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
Creator: United States Army, Department of Missouri
Date: 1881
This black and white (brown) lithograph of Fort Leavenworth was created by Wilhelm Dannmeier, an architect, engraver, and lithographer who was top assistant to the Chief Engineer, Department of Missouri, United States Army. The names of the various buildings and areas are identified in the lower margin below the location of the building. The structures are not directly identified with numbers of letters. The major buildings on the post are listed. The Missouri River is on the right side of the lithograph.


Building Officers Row, Ft. Sill

Building Officers Row, Ft. Sill
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: October 12, 1917
Soldiers working in groups to construct frame and tent buildings for the officers. One soldier is folding a mattress. In 1917 James C. Hughes was Captain of Battery C, 130th Field Artillery, Kansas National Guard. He was stationed at Camp Doniphan, Oklahoma, for field artillery training. Camp Doniphan is adjacent to Fort Sill which is just outside Lawton, Oklahoma. The 130th Field Artillery, Kansas National Guard, trained at both in 1917 and 1918 as part of the 35th Division. The 35th Division was constituted in 1917 as one of the 17 National Guard divisions authorized for service in World War I. The division was organized from the National Guard of Kansas and Missouri. The 35th included three machinegun battalions, three field artillery regiments, four infantry regiments, one engineer regiment and one signal battalion with a total strength of 26,373. A full biography of James Clark Hughes is available at the link below to Kansapedia.


Captain James Hughes, Monterey, California

Captain James Hughes, Monterey, California
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: Fall 1929
The photo of this house in Monterey, CA is labeled, "Col's personal quarters"-Barbie. The photo was taken in the fall of 1929. The person beside the house is not identified. At this time, Captain James Hughes was at the Battery Commander Headquarters with D Battery, 76th Field Artillery at the Presidio of Monterey. James Clark Hughes was born in Topeka, Kansas, in 1888, and served in the Mexican Border Conflict, World War I, and World War II. He used an autographic camera to take pictures of friends, family, and places in the United States and Europe during World War I. After the Armistice was signed November 11, 1918, Captain Hughes became part of the Army of Occupation. He finally returned to the U. S. arriving July 31, 1919 as part of the 13th Field Artillery, 4th Division. He was assigned to Camp Dodge, Iowa until August, 1920. Then Captain Hughes was assigned to the Motor Transport School, Camp Holabird, Maryland for training in Army vehicles for six months. From there Hughes and the 13th F.A. went to Fort Lewis, Washington. Hughes was the Battery Commander of the 13th F.A. During this time he had applied for enlistment in the Regular Army. On September 7, 1920 he was discharged from the National Guard and appoint to the Regular Army. It was then that Captain Hughes and his family moved to Schofield Barracks, Hawaiian Territory where they stayed until September, 1923. His next appointment was as Battery Commander of the 15th Field Artillery at Fort Sam Houston. In September 1924, Hughes attended the Battery Officers Course in the School of Artillery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma for nine months. From 1924 until 1933 the Hughes family continued to be moved frequently from Ft. Sill to Houston, to Waco, back to Hawaii and eventually to Long Beach. It was here in 1935 that Hughes was promoted to Major. By August of 1940 he had been promoted to Lt. Colonel. In 1941, he commanded a Philippine regiment (Filipino soldiers led by American officers), which surrendered in 1942 on the Bataan peninsula. Hughes spent the next 41 months in various Japanese P.O.W. camps. He was liberated by Russian forces at Camp Hoten, Manchuria, in 1945. He was assigned permanent limited duty status and April 1, 1946 was promoted to Colonel. He retired from the Army March 20, 1948. Hughes died in 1964 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.


Captain James Monroe Williams and family

Captain James Monroe Williams and family
Date: 1870
A photograph showing Captain James Monroe Williams and family posed in front of their living quarters. The photograph was probably taken at Fort Selden, New Mexico. People in the photograph are (left to right) soldier holding horse unidentified, Captain James Monroe Williams, Mrs. James Monroe Williams, and an unidentified nurse holding John Absalom Williams.


Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: April 30, 1879
This photograph shows a group of people gathered on the front porch of the commanding officers' quarters at Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas Cavalry, to protect the United States mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail, a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: June 1869
This illustration, from Harper's New Monthly Magazine, shows the first Commanding Officers' Quarters at Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas, to protect the United States mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Commanding officer's quarters, Fort Hays, Kansas

Commanding officer's quarters, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1902
This photograph shows the commanding officer's quarters that was once the residence of Generals Custer, Sheridan, and Forsythe at Fort Hays, Kansas. The building was later occupied by the principal of the Western State Normal School.


Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas

Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1920
This is a photograph of the commanding officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U. S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed on May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U. S. Army. In November 1866, Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U. S. Cavalry, the Fifth U. S. Infantry, and the Tenth U. S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned, March, 1875.

Commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned, March, 1875.
Date: March 1875
View of the commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned, March, 1875. Col. Lyster was the commanding officer.


Commanding officer's residence at Fort Larned

Commanding officer's residence at Fort Larned
Date: Between 1879 and 1889
Photo of the commanding officer's quarters at Fort Larned.


Fort Dodge, Kansas

Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: Between 1865 and 1867
Fort Dodge established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce from the 11th Kansas Cavalry. Located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of the present Dodge City. The fort was designed to protect the U.S. mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail.


Fort Hays, Kansas

Fort Hays, Kansas
Creator: Van Vliet
Date: 1873
A photograph of the quartermaster's office, noncommissioned officer's quarters, quartermaster's warehouse, quartermaster's shops, and the wagon shed at Fort Hays, Kansas.


Fort Larned buildings

Fort Larned buildings
Date: 1962
Views of historic Fort Larned enlisted men's barracks and officer's quarters.


Fort Larned buildings

Fort Larned buildings
Date: Between 1960 and 1969
These postcards show the buildings and signs at Fort Larned in Pawnee County, Kansas.


Fort Larned officers' quarters

Fort Larned officers' quarters
Creator: Sohl, Stanley D, 1924-1998
Date: 1956
This photograph shows the Fort Larned officers' quarters and commanding officers' quarters.


Fort Riley Avenue card

Fort Riley Avenue card
Creator: Pennell and Zellner
Date: Between 1891 and 1893
This is a cabinet card showing the residences along Fort Riley Avenue in Fort Riley, Kansas.


Fort Scott army post, officers quarters

Fort Scott army post, officers quarters
Date: Between 1890 and 1900
The Fort Scott officers quarters were constructed between 1842 to 1848. Army officers and their families who were posted at Fort Scott lived in the quarters.


John Edmund Yard seated on the porch of his quarters at Camp Supply, Indian Territory

John Edmund Yard seated on the porch of his quarters at Camp Supply, Indian Territory
Date: Between 1886 and 1887
A photograph showing a log building at Camp Supply, Indian Territory. The officer seated on the porch is Col. John Edmond Yard, who was later commander at Fort Hays, Kansas.


Officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas

Officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1960
A photograph of the officer's quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was an important U.S. Army post that was active from 1865 until 1889. Originally designated Fort Fletcher (after Governor Thomas C. Fletcher of Missouri), it was located five miles south of present-day Walker and became operational on October 11, 1865. Troops stationed at Fort Fletcher were to protect the stage and freight wagons on the Butterfield Overland Despatch (BOD) traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail to Denver. Despite the presence of the soldiers, Southern Cheyenne and Southern Arapaho Indians continued to confront traffic along the trail. David Butterfield, owner of the BOD, went bankrupt and the line was abandoned. Since the Smoky Hill Trail was no longer in use, Fort Fletcher was closed May 5, 1866. On October 11, 1866, Fort Fletcher was reopened approximately one-fourth mile north of its previous location, at the confluence of Big Creek and the North Fork of Big Creek. The Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division, was being constructed westward roughly paralleling the Smoky Hill Trail and construction workers needed the protection of the U.S. Army. In November 1866 Fort Fletcher was renamed Fort Hays in honor of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, who was killed during the Civil War. Some of the famous figures associated with the fort included Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Nelson Miles, General Philip Sheridan, and Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer. It was also the home of several well-known Indian wars regiments such as the Seventh U.S. Cavalry, the Fifth U.S. Infantry, and the Tenth U.S. Cavalry, whose black troopers were better known as Buffalo Soldiers. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1868), guardhouse, and two officers' quarters. After its closing in 1889 the land and buildings of Fort Hays were turned over to the Department of the Interior, which later transferred them to the state of Kansas in 1900. When Frontier Historical Park was opened at the site in 1929, only the blockhouse and guardhouse remained of the original fort buildings. The two officers' quarters had been sold at auction in 1902 and moved into town at the time the other buildings were being sold for scrap. The officers' quarters were relocated in 1964 and 1987. The visitor center was built in 1967. Today it operates as Fort Hays State Historic Site; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Officer's quarters at Old Fort Larned, Kansas

Officer's quarters at Old Fort Larned, Kansas
Date: Between 1879 and 1889
These photographs and the colored postcard show the officer's quarters at old Fort Larned in the 1880's.


Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas

Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas
Date: Between January 01, 1865 and December 31, 1867
This photograph shows a view of Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas Cavalry, to protect the U.S. mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.


Officers' quarters, Fort Hays, Kansas

Officers' quarters, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1884 and 1886
A photograph of the officers' quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas. A horse drawn carriage is visible in front of one of the buildings.


Officers' quarters, Fort Hays, Kansas

Officers' quarters, Fort Hays, Kansas
Date: Between 1884 and 1886
These photographs represent the officers' quarters at Fort Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. See also Unit ID 216347.


Officers' quarters, Fort Scott

Officers' quarters, Fort Scott
Date: 1842
This photograph, taken by an unknown photographer, depicts the officers' quarters at Fort Scott. The building to the left was Col. Charles W. Blair's residence, which was razed between 1905 and 1906. The site was identified in 1993 as HS-3, because of the sub-surface stone foundation which has survived. The building to the right was a boarding house and was identified in 1993 and HS-4. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Blair and Lincoln Avenues.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.