Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Six mile house in Wyandotte County, Kansas Six mile house in Wyandotte County, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 599,792
Bookbag items: 36,025
Registered users: 10,980

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 16

Category Filters

People - American Indians - Missions - Iowa Presbyterian Mission

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 16 of 16 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.


Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Coins from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1854-1864
Shown are two coins that were recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. The 1854 half dime shows a seated Liberty, 13 stars, and an arrow on each side of the year on the obverse side. The arrows indicate that that the coin weight had been reduced. The reverse of the half dime shows the face value of the coin, a wreath, and the words "UNITED STATES of AMERICA." The 2¢ coin's obverse side shows a shield with "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the banner and the mint date of 1864. The reverse side is too corroded to discern what was present.


Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Dishes from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
These six dish sherds were recovered from excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The sherds represent six different plates or cups and are either decorated by hand painting or by transfer printing. They depict floral and landscape motifs. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle

Dr. Price's Special Flavoring Extracts Bottle
Date: 1874-1883
This complete extract bottle was recovered from the excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Dr. Vincent Clarence Price (1832-1914, grandfathered of the actor Vincent Price) manufactured and distributed baking powder, flavorings, and other foods. Price joined in partnership with Charles R. Steele from 1874 to 1883 to make the "most perfect made in Vanilla, Lemon, Orange, Etc" flavorings "prepared from true fruits."


George A. Root to Mr. Elliott of Coffeyville

George A. Root to Mr. Elliott of Coffeyville
Creator: Root, George A. (George Allen), 1867-1949
Date: February 22, 1933
In this letter to Mr. Elliott of Coffeyville, Kansas State Historical Society Curator of Archives George A. Root provides some brief information regarding Samuel Irvin. Root explains that Irvin "arrived in Kansas in 1837, and established at Highland a mission for the Iowa and Sac Indians. He is described as a man of slight build, and absolutely fearless."


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: 1938
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission, Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1938 and 1945
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Doniphan County, Kansas

Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Doniphan County, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
This is an exterior view of the Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission erected in 1846. It was three stories high with a belfry that made the total height 52 feet, and it was 107 feet long by 37 feet wide. The mission closed in 1863. From 1863 to 1866, the mission functioned as the Indian Orphanage Institute, but this new role was limited by a proliferation of similar institutions in the Midwest. After the institute closed in 1866, the mission sat empty until 1868 when the west portion of the building was razed, leaving about 40 percent of the original structure. The razed portion was to be used in the construction of a building at Highland University. Since 1963, the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. Recently it has been rehabilitated as a museum to showcase the arts and history of the emigrant tribes of Native Americans in northeastern Kansas.


Iowa, and Sac and Fox Mission drawing

Iowa, and Sac and Fox Mission drawing
Date: 1841
This drawing is a rendering of what the artist believes the Presbyterian Mission to the Iowa, and Sac and Fox may have looked like when first built.


Iowa, and Sac and Fox Mission photograph

Iowa, and Sac and Fox Mission photograph
Date: 1841
This photograph is a representation of what the Iowa, and Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission in Highland, Doniphan County, Kansas, may have looked like when first built.


Key from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384

Key from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384
Date: 1845-1905
This key was recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. he key consists of a bow (the portion which is gripped and turned) and a blade (which slides into a keyway, also called a key hole). The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


M.H. Turner to Kirke Mechem

M.H. Turner to Kirke Mechem
Creator: Turner, M.H.
Date: December 15, 1938
In this letter to Kansas State Historical Society secretary Kirke Mechem, Presbyterian Historical Society librarian M.H. Turner informs Mechem that she has searched for information regarding the printing press used at the Iowa and Sac Mission that Reverend Samuel M. Irvin worked at as a missionary, teacher, and makeshift surgeon. Turner explains that she found some information but "nothing about the press in the reports" of the Western Foreign Missionary Society.


Reminiscences of T.J. Sutherland

Reminiscences of T.J. Sutherland
Creator: Irvin, S. M. (Samuel Mcleary), b. 1812
Date: July 1882
This item, written by Reverend Samuel M. Irvin, contains Irvin's thoughts on Thomas Jefferson "TJ" Sutherland. Sutherland, also known as General Sutherland was, according to the information that he gave Irvin, held prisoner by the British following the burning of the "Caroline" on the Canadian border in 1837. Irvin explains that Sutherland intended on forming a group in order to move "west of the Indian reserves" but was unable to complete the task due to the fact that he died after a lengthy sickness.


Reverend Samuel M. Irvin and family

Reverend Samuel M. Irvin and family
Date: Between 1854 and 1859
This is a photograph showing Reverend Samuel M., Eliza, his wife, and their family. In November 1837, Rev. Irvin and his wife established a Presbyterian mission for the Iowa Indians located two miles west of the mouth of Wolf River on the southern edge of the Iowa Reservation in present-day Doniphan County, Kansas. Buildings were constructed on the mission grounds, and children were taught in English and the Iowa language. This was made possible by the arrival in 1843 of a printing press on which Irvin published a hymnal and several grammar books in the Iowa language. Studies included spelling, arithmetic, and geography, but emphasis was placed on the industrial and domestic arts and farming. With the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854, a new treaty was negotiated causing a reduction of Indian lands. The treaty took effect that same year, and white settlement began in earnest. As a result of the loss of land, the mission became too far removed from the two reservations to make attendance at the school convenient for Indian children. The mission closed in 1863 with Reverend Irvin working there until it closed.


Samuel M. Irvin diary

Samuel M. Irvin diary
Creator: Irvin, S. M. (Samuel Mcleary), b. 1812
Date: January 1, 1841-June 23, 1848
This diary was written by Samuel M. Irvin, and it contains a great number of details surrounding his activities during the period from January 1841 through June 1848. During the period covered in the diary, Irvin worked as the principal missionary at the Iowa Presbyterian Mission near Highland, Kansas. As a result, Irvin's diary discusses his duties in that capacity, as well as his day-to-day activities on the frontier.


Tiny Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission

Tiny Bottle from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission
Date: 1845-1905
A small bottle, such as this one, may have once held medicine or perfume. It was recovered from the excavations at the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that, part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.


Showing 1 - 16

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.