All materials on Kansas Memory are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. It is the patron's responsibility to request and obtain permission from both the image and copyright owner(s) to use materials.
This photograph, taken by an unknown photographer, depicts the officers' quarters at Fort Scott. The building to the left was Col. Charles W. Blair's residence, which was razed between 1905 and 1906. The site was identified in 1993 as HS-3, because of the sub-surface stone foundation which has survived. The building to the right was a boarding house and was identified in 1993 and HS-4. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Blair and Lincoln Avenues.
This source could be used in the classroom during a discussion of soldiers' daily lives in Kansas forts.
KS:7th:1.5:Forts and Trails (2005)
Item Number: 485
Call Number: FK2.B3 Ft.75 *5
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 485
Built Environment - Areas of Significance - Military
Built Environment - Function - Defense - Military Facility - Officers' quarters
Business and Industry - Occupations/Professions - Military
Collections - Photograph
Curriculum - 7th Grade Standards - Kansas History Standards - Prehistory to 1854 (Benchmark 1) - Kansas forts and trails (Indicator 5) - Fort Scott
Date - 1890s
Military - Facilities - Forts - Fort Scott
Military - Facilities - Officers' quarters
Military - Service - Army
Objects and Artifacts - Communication Artifacts - Documentary Artifact - Photograph - Albumen prints
Places - Counties - Bourbon
Places - Forts and military installations - Fort Scott
Type of Material - Photographs - Format - Albumen prints