Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Copper Tile from the Kaw Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This copper tile was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. The tile is decorated with a stamped floral pattern. Tiles such as these were used to as ceiling or wall decorations, fireplace surrounds or back splashes.

Date: 1880-1930

Bookbag Share Print

Copper Tile from the Kaw Mission - 1Copper Tile from the Kaw Mission - 2

Copper Tile from the Kaw Mission - 1

Item Number: 451100
Call Number: 14MO368-883.001-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 451100

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.