Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Musket Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This musket read sight was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. A musket refers to all flintlock guns. The sight would have been mounted atop of the barrel of the gun to align the target visually with the shooter's eye.

Date: 1800-1860

Bookbag Share Print

Musket Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission - 1Musket Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission - 2

Musket Rear Sight from the Kaw Mission - 1

Item Number: 450985
Call Number: 14MO368-1165-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450985

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.