Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Thimble from the Kaw Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This thimble was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. Thimbles were worn to protect the finger while pushing through a needle during sewing.

Date: 1851-1951

Bookbag Share Print

Thimble from the Kaw Mission - 1Thimble from the Kaw Mission - 2

Thimble from the Kaw Mission - 1

Item Number: 450966
Call Number: 14MO368-1183-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450966

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.