Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

The 1876 penny was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. The penny, sometimes called an Indian Head cent or Indian Head penny shows Liberty with a head dress on the obverse side. The reverse side shows an oak wreath and shield surrounding the words "ONE CENT."

Date: 1876

Bookbag Share Print

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission - 11876 Penny from the Kaw Mission - 2

1876 Penny from the Kaw Mission - 1

Item Number: 450965
Call Number: 14MO368-825-20
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450965

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.