Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This brass heel plate was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. The heel plate was worn on the heel of the shoe or boot to help prolong the life of the footwear. This artifact still contains several partial nails.

Date: Unknown

Bookbag Share Print

Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission - 1Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission - 2

Heel Plate from the Kaw Mission - 1

Item Number: 450946
Call Number: 14MO368-1804-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450946

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.