Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This small bottle was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951. The clear bottle is damaged at the lip and base. It may have once held medicine, either prescribed or patented. The only mark on the bottle is an embossed "1/2."

Date: 1851-1930

Bookbag Share Print

Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission - 1Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission - 2Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission - 3Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission - 4

Medicine Bottle from the Kaw Mission - 1

Item Number: 450940
Call Number: 14MO368-856.001-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450940

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.