Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These seven buttons were among the many that were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed and part was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941. Shown are a brass button front with a Greek Key pattern and two shell buttons, one with an inset center and the other a three-hole button in a floral shape. Additionally, there are four china buttons: two four-hole dish buttons (one with traces of purple coloring), a three-hole dish button and a two-hole Prosser button in two shades of brown.

Date: 1845-1905

Bookbag Share Print

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission - 1Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission - 2Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission - 3

Buttons from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission - 1

Item Number: 449265
Call Number: 14DP384
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 449265

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.