Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Butter Pats from the Grinter House, 14WY316 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These five butter pats were recovered from the Grinter House in Wyandotte County. Butter pats are often mistaken for children's toy dishes, but they are meant to hold individual servings of butter. These were made by Haviland and Co., of Limoges, France. The Grinter House is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is in the National Register of Historic Places. Moses and Annie Grinter (she was a Lenape Delaware) owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Now it is an historic site overseen by the Kansas Historical Society.

Date: 1855-1950

Bookbag Share Print

Butter Pats from the Grinter House, 14WY316 - 1Butter Pats from the Grinter House, 14WY316 - 2

Butter Pats from the Grinter House, 14WY316 - 1

Item Number: 448229
Call Number: 14WY316-68 through -72
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 448229

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.