Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Commanding Officers' Quarters, Fort Dodge, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This illustration, from Harper's New Monthly Magazine, shows the first Commanding Officers' Quarters at Fort Dodge, Kansas. The military fort was established in 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, a member of the 11th Kansas, to protect the United States mail and emigrant wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail. The facility was located on the left bank of the Arkansas River on the "Long Route" of the Santa Fe Trail a few miles southeast of present day Dodge City, Kansas.

Date: June 1869

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 447870
Call Number: FK2.F2 FD.75 *1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 447870

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.