Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Milk Bottle Caps from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These three cardboard milk bottle caps were found at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Johnson County. The Mission was built in 1839 for the Shawnee Tribe and closed in 1862. The life of the building did not end there as during the Civil War troops were quartered there and later it saw use as a dance hall, dairy bottling plant, apartments and a boarding house until becoming property of the state in 1927. One bottle cap is blank while one advertises the West Mission Dairy on ___ and Mission Road (purveyors of Rare Milk and Cream). The third milk bottle cap has the cryptic wording: "A. Morrison, Jr Farm Both Phones TESTED." By the mid 1950s cardboard bottle tops were considered unsanitary and began to disappear.

Date: 1930-1955

Bookbag Share Print

Milk Bottle Caps from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - 1Milk Bottle Caps from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - 2

Milk Bottle Caps from the Shawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - 1

Item Number: 443194
Call Number: 14JO362-3-37
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 443194

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.