Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Marbles from the Sawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These four marbles were recovered from the Shawnee Indian Mission in Johnson County. The Mission was built in 1839 for the Shawnee Tribe and closed in 1862. The life of the building did not end there as during the Civil War troops were quartered there and later it saw use as a dance hall, dairy bottling plant, apartments and a boarding house until becoming property of the state in 1927. The largest marble is made of clear glass with yellow, red and black swirls. The other three marbles are called Bennington marbles and are made of glazed clay. All three were recovered in the porch area of the west building.

Date: 1839-1927

Bookbag Share Print

Marbles from the Sawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - 1Marbles from the Sawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - 2

Marbles from the Sawnee Indian Mission, 14JO362 - 1

Item Number: 443161
Call Number: 14JO362-2 and 14JO362-5
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 443161

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.