Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Artifact Collection from the Green Site in Riley County - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This collection was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1880 by Governor Nehemiah Green (1837-1890). The artifacts are likely from a site called 14RY33 as the donation records state they are from the Green site and 14RY33 was on property once owned by Governor Green. The small collection includes two vessel rims, two body sherds, and a large piece of daub (clay typically used to coat a structure which retains impressions of surrounding material). A single groundstone abrader, used for smoothing softer material, two scrapers and a knife or biface were also donated. Finally, seven projectile points, ranging in style from large dart points to a small notched arrow point were included. This collection reveals a site that was occupied periodically from the late Archaic to the Middle Ceramic periods. It may have had at least one structure and activities included cooking, hide processing and hunting.

Date: 1500 BCE-1500 CE

Bookbag Share Print

Artifact Collection from the Green Site in Riley County - 1Artifact Collection from the Green Site in Riley County - 2

Artifact Collection from the Green Site in Riley County - 1

Item Number: 442152
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 442152

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.