Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These five slides show different views of the Cave Hollow Petroglyph site, sometimes called Palmer's Cave, in Ellsworth County. The site was first recorded as a petroglyph site in 1949, but as the older views show, it was visited in 1867 by noted photographer Alexander Gardner. The site has numerous glyphs: equestrian, anthropomorphic, figures with shields, cervid tracks, geometric, a "butterfly", and a partial "water monster," in addition to modern graffiti.

Date: 1867 - 1979

Bookbag Share Print

Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - 1Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - 2Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - 3Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - 4Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - 5

Petroglyphs from the Cave Hollow Site in Ellsworth County - 1

Item Number: 440288
Call Number: 14EW33-13; -14; -15; -4; -7
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 440288

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.