Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Views of Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This composite photograph shows a baseball team, brass band, bakery, girls' dormitory, small girl's ward, entrance, small boy's ward, chapel, school, sewing room, industrial building, laundry and boiler house, dining hall, large boys' dormitory, hospital, school room, and small boy's dormitory at Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas. Also, photographs of Superintendent C. F. Meserve and Kansas United States Representative Dudley C. Haskell are displayed in the center. Haskell Institute was founded in 1884 as the United States Indian Industrial Training School. It opened with 22 students, a number that increased to 400 within one semester. The early trades for boys included tailoring, wagon making, blacksmithing, harness making, painting, shoe making, and farming, reflecting skills needed in their rural home environments. Girls studied cooking, sewing and homemaking. Most of the students' food was produced on the farm, and students were expected to work at the school. In 1887, the Indian Industrial Training School became Haskell Institute to honor Dudley C. Haskell who was responsible for the school's location in Lawrence, Kansas. Charles T. Meserve was appointed the fifth superintendent at Haskell Institute.

Date: Between 1889 and 1890

Bookbag Share Print

Views of Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas - 1Views of Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas - 2

Views of Haskell Institute in Lawrence, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 439526
Call Number: FK2.D4 L.76 HI *1(a-v)
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 439526

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.