Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Taylor's Perfection Flour poster - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Poster advertising Taylor's Perfection Flour by Gyrator Mills. Color illustration of a young boy with a flour sack. Captioned and signed by the artist, Ruth K. Welch, across the bottom. Topeka's Taylor Grain Company was incorporated in 1904 with William L. Taylor (1872-?) as president, and the first newspaper ad for Taylor's Perfection brand flour appears in July of that year. On January 17, 1905 the company opened their New Gyrator Mills, located at Curtis and Monroe and operated by Taylor Grain's newly incorporated subsidiary, the Gyrator Milling Company. The mill was built and equipped by Wolf & Company of Chaberburg, Pennsylvania using their patented "Gyrator" line of equipment. In 1905 the company also started sponsoring an amateur baseball team known as the Taylor Perfections. In December of 1905 the company went into bankruptcy, although it soon resumed limited operations under the receivership of the Bank of Topeka. In October of 1907 the newly incorporated Kaw Milling Company assumed operations of the mill, and they renamed the "Taylor's Perfection" brand simply "Perfection." (The Taylor Perfection baseball team, however, continued to operate under the same name until 1910.) Ruth K. Welch (1872-1933) was a commercial artist active in Topeka from about 1900 until December of 1909, when she moved with her new husband to Albany, New York.

Date: between 1904 and 1907

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 339092
KSHS Identifier: 1958.71.0

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.