Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Medicine bottle - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

AbilenA Water. Brown bottle with tin cap and yellow, red, and blue paper label. Bottle is about half full of clear liquid with white sediments at bottom. AbilenA Water was drawn from a well in northern Willowdale Township, Dickinson County. It was first bottled by P.H. Halleck and H.E. Ellison in 1900. Their original company, the Abilene Drug Company, was reorganized as the AbilenA Company in 1901 with a capital stock of $10,000. At that time the water sold for $0.25 per bottle. The company headquarters moved to Chicago in 1919. Advertisments for the water disappear from newspapers in the mid 1940s. This bottle came from the drug store of long-time Hutchinson druggist Terry L. Foltz.

Creator: The Abilena Company
Date: between 1913 and 1919

Bookbag Share Print

Medicine bottle - 1Medicine bottle - 2Medicine bottle - 3

Medicine bottle - 1

Item Number: 318763
KSHS Identifier: 1970.52.54

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.