Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Medicine tin - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Small round tin of Mentholatum. Cover illustration of a young girl dressed as a nurse. Manufactured by the Mentholatum Company of Wichita. The company was originally founded as the Yucca Company in 1889 by Albert Alexander Hyde (1848-1935) and two partners as a manufacturer of soaps, shaving creams, and perfumes. In 1894 Hyde developed Mentholatum ointment, which was an immediate success and quickly became the company's top selling product. In 1903 Hyde organized a second office in Buffalo, New York to handle sales and distribution east of the Mississippi River. In 1906 the business was renamed The Mentholatum Company and it stopped producing any other products. In 1909-10 they built a large factory in Wichita at 1300 E. Douglas, the City's first steel-reinforced, poured-concrete structure. They built a second factory in Buffalo in 1919. After Hyde's death in 1935 the company headquarters were relocated to Buffalo.

Creator: Mentholatum Company
Date: between 1906 and 1935

Bookbag Share Print

Medicine tin - 1Medicine tin - 2

Medicine tin - 1

Item Number: 318761
KSHS Identifier: 1969.60.24

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.