Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Cup - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Hand-wrought communal iron drinking cup with attached chain. The cup was attached to a rock by the Sulphur Spring public spring near Fort Scott around 1800 and saw continuous use until communal drinking cups were banned by the Kansas State Board of Health in 1909. The cup was replaced by a sanitary drinking fountain on November 1, 1911. Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine, Director of the Board of Health, used the cup in his public health and sanitation campaigns, and it was later displayed at the Paper Cup and Container Institute in New York.

Date: between 1800 and 1920

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 318746
KSHS Identifier: 1958.147.1

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.