Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Old Bell Monument, Council Grove, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These photographs show two views of the Old Bell Monument in 1901. The bell was brought from Leavenworth by ox-team between 1861 and 1863. The bell wasn't properly hung in the hilltop Belfry Tower until 1867. Before that residents struck it with a rock. Legend goes that it was once used as a warning bell, but later it was rung as a church and school bell and for a variety of community occasions until it was broken in 1884. The monument's cornerstone was laid on September 19, 1901.

Date: 1901

Bookbag Share Print

Old Bell Monument, Council Grove, Kansas - 1Old Bell Monument, Council Grove, Kansas - 2Old Bell Monument, Council Grove, Kansas - 3Old Bell Monument, Council Grove, Kansas - 4

Old Bell Monument, Council Grove, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 316164
Call Number: FK2.M8 C.64 *7-8
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 316164

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.