Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Interior view of John D. Knox's "Belvoir" home in Topeka, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a photograph showing the interior of John D. Knox's "Belvoir" home in Topeka, Kansas. The house was built in 1884 at the north end of Potwin on a 7-acre tract of land between Woodlawn and Elmwood Avenues, facing Grove Avenue. The rambling, three-story structure--also known as Knox's Castle--cost $40,000 to build. John D. Knox, a Methodist minister, was employed by the Kansas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He arrived in Topeka, Kansas in 1865 and started preaching at the First Methodist Church. Knox discovered he had a talent for making money and eventually made a fortune by buying tax sale certificates and property. By 1871, Knox was president of Capitol Bank in Topeka, resigning in 1873 to become head of John D. Knox and Co., Bankers and Loan Agents. In the mid 1890s, the United States was in the midst of a financial panic, and on August 10, 1898 the Topeka Daily Capital reported that Knox filed for bankruptcy. He lost everything except the house his family continued to live in for several years. The house, which cost $40,000 to build in 1884, was sold for $23,000 to Herman Baumer. It was demolished in 1924 and the lumber was used to build a dozen bungalows in the Belvoir Court District.

Date: 1889-1898

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 315610
Call Number: FK2.S5 T.75 .K *9
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 315610

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.