Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Panoramic view of Greensburg, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a panoramic photograph showing people in their automobiles on South Main Street and at the intersection with East Florida in Greensburg, Kansas. The building on the far right is the Queen City Hotel, built in 1885, and destroyed by fire in 1910. The three story brick building at the corner of South Main and East Florida was built in 1887 by Clayton W. Myers, who started the Bank of Greensburg. The second floor of the building was known as the opera house with a seating capacity of 500 and was used for social functions and a courtroom by the district court. The third floor housed several doctors, lawyers, and loan agents, and Kiowa County rented rooms for county offices. In 1893, the Bank of Greensburg failed and the county purchased it for a courthouse in 1896.

Date: 1909

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 314051
Call Number: FK2.K3 G.5 *2
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 314051

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.