Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Ling gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These two cabinet cards show Ling Gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas. The earlier of the two photos captures the gymnasium under construction; the building was completed in 1895. Ling Gymnasium was an all-wood, sixteen-sided structure built on the campus of Bethany College. It had a seating capacity of 3,500 and was used for athletic and physical education activities. Ling Gymnasium also served as the venue for performances of the Messiah prior to construction of Presser Hall. The gymnasium was named after Per Henrick Ling, noted Swede who pioneered physical education and gymnastics training regimens. Ling Gymnasium was destroyed by fire in 1946.

Creator: Grondal, B.G.
Date: Between 1895 and 1899

Bookbag Share Print

Ling gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas - 1Ling gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas - 2Ling gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas - 3Ling gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas - 4

Ling gymnasium in Lindsborg, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 312175
Call Number: FK2.M3 L.7 6 BC *14b, 15
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 312175

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.