Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Hospital building at Fort Hays - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a photograph showing the hospital building at Fort Hays. The main ward of the prefabricated pine hospital is on the left; it was forty by twenty-four feet. The smaller ward was twenty-eight by twenty-four feet, and this building contained the surgeon's office and dispensary. The two buildings were connected by a fourteen by twelve foot passageway. A kitchen and dining room were attached to the rear of the main ward. The post hospital aided civilian as well as military personnel and was the finest and best-equipped hospital in the region as long as the post was active. Later, the building was used by the Fort Hays Normal School. Fort Hays is one of the historic sites maintained by the Kansas State Historical Society.

Date: Between 1900 and 1910

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 308860
Call Number: FK2.E3 F.722 *3
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 308860

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.