Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Adair-Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These two postcards show a view of the Adair-Brown cabin in Osawatomie, Kansas. The structure, built around 1854 by Samuel Glenn, was later sold in 1855 to John Brown's brother-in-law Samuel Lyle Adair. The cabin provided a home for the Adair family but was frequently used by Brown for abolitionist activities. In 1912, the structure was moved to the highest point in the John Brown Memorial Park which is also the site of the "Battle of Osawatomie" where John Brown and thirty free-state defenders fought in 1856 against 250 pro-slavery militia men. A stone pavilion was built in 1928 to protect the cabin's exterior. The state legislature appointed the Kansas Historical Society to maintain the site and in 1971 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Date: Between 1912 and 1928

Bookbag Share Print

Adair-Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas - 1Adair-Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas - 2Adair-Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas - 3Adair-Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas - 4

Adair-Brown cabin, Osawatomie, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 306064
Call Number: FK2.M5 O.79 *44-45
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 306064

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.