Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Old windmill in Lawrence, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a photograph showing a Holland-style windmill built in Lawrence, Kansas. Construction began on July 1, 1863 by by A. Palm and G. H. Wilder; however, it was destroyed in Quantrill's raid. Fourteen men were brought over from Sweden to work on the windmill, and it was rebuilt in 1864 at a cost of $9,700. It had an octagonal shaped frame, four stories in height, and a basement with walls of stone six feet thick. The mill had four millstones, two for wheat and two for corn. The capacity of the windmill was twenty bushels daily each of flour and meal. Also, it furnished power for a wagon and plow shop. In July 1885, the old windmill ceased to run and in April 1905, it burned.

Creator: Squires, C. F.
Date: Between 1900 and 1905

Bookbag Share Print

Old windmill in Lawrence, Kansas - 1Old windmill in Lawrence, Kansas - 2

Old windmill in Lawrence, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 304788
Call Number: FK2.D4 L.7 *23
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 304788

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.