Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Views of the Kansas Women's Industrial hospital and library, Lansing, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These two photographs show the hospital and library at the Kansas Women's Industrial Farm in Lansing, Kansas. In 1916, this facility was established, and, for a year, it was a branch of the men's prison at the Kansas State Penitentiary in Leavenworth County. In 1917, it began operating as a separate, satellite unit. The Industrial Farm was under the supervision of the State Board of Administration before coming under the control of the Board of Penal Institutions, which was eventually reorganized as the Department of Corrections. It housed women who had committed crimes against the state. In 1980, the facility became co-correctional and the name was changed to the Kansas Correctional Institution at Lansing in 1983.

Date: 1936

Bookbag Share Print

Views of the Kansas Women's Industrial hospital and library, Lansing, Kansas - *5 View of the hospitalViews of the Kansas Women's Industrial hospital and library, Lansing, Kansas - *6 Library, Cottage A

Views of the Kansas Women's Industrial hospital and library, Lansing, Kansas - *5 View of the hospital

Item Number: 229176
Call Number: FK2.7 PEW.1936 *5-6
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 229176

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.