Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Kansas Women's Industrial Farm in Lansing, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This is a photograph of women sitting outside of a building on the Women's Industrial Farm in Lansing, Kansas. In 1916, this facility was established, and, for a year, it was a branch of the men's prison at the Kansas State Penitentiary in Leavenworth County. In 1917, it began operating as a separate, satellite unit. The Industrial Farm was under the supervision of the State Board of Administration before coming under the control of the Board of Penal Institutions, which was eventually reorganized as the Department of Corrections. It housed women who had committed crimes against the state. In 1980, the facility became co-correctional and the name was changed to the Kansas Correctional Institution at Lansing in 1983.

Date: Between 1916 and 1930

Bookbag Share Print

Kansas Women's Industrial Farm in Lansing, Kansas - 1Kansas Women's Industrial Farm in Lansing, Kansas - 2

Kansas Women's Industrial Farm in Lansing, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 229150
Call Number: FK2.7 PEW *1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 229150

Copyright © 2007-2017 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.